Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskielaw

LX5 Transducer Freezing in Case

13 posts in this topic

Anyone have any ideas as to how to stop the transducer from freezing into the LX5 case when you put it back in the transducer holder? I noticed the vexlar pro packs have a hole on the bottom of the transducer holder which would prevent this. Before I drill a hole in my case thought I would find out if someone has a better idea? Have also tried drying it off real well but it still seems to have enough condensation to freeze in.

I have a vexilar fl8 and it has a foam area to slide the ducer into.....after using it a time or 2 I figured out that in the winter I can not put the ducer into that spot cause it freezes in and when it is pulled out it would have foam on it...so I just put it on the battery or loose in the ducer area......

Here is a post I did in another thread about this issue!

Good Luck smile

You know, I had this happen to me the other day for the first time ever grin

I always dry mine off before leaving and bring it in to charge and never had a problem. Well, the other day I put my LX-5 in my trailer outside after charging. I think when I was moving last weekend, I must have put the ducer in the holder wet during a move. It did not freeze that day, but froze the night it sat in the trailer. Got out to a local lake and could not get that ducer out grin. I just brought it in the shack and let it sit for a couple minutes in the warmth and it came right out.

I have an extremely simple solution for this issue. When you put the ducer in its holder pocket with possible moisture in the pocket, put the ducer/puck in side ways (on its side) wink. It fits great this way, packs up nice and the face of the ducer is not up against the foam pad it freezes to.

Problem solved smile

Nothing beets an LX-5 and I am very pleased with how mine has performed and the features it has.

I do that as well. I even keep a little rag in the side pocket, when hole-hopping all it takes it putting the ducer in the pocket wet and have freezing temps out side one.

I just put the ducer in side in the pocket and I have not had an issue since.

Put a piece of sulafane in the bottom of the holder. Glade press and seal works just as good. I haven't had a problem since.

Just put 3 small drops of silicone sealant so it will never freeze flush to the bottom.

There should be a hole there already. But they put the little pad in there and the holes don't line up very well so I had the same problem. Even after opening the hole up so that it could seep out, it still froze so as previously stated, I just put the transducer in on its side. No problem after that.

I put it sideways like shackbash if I'm not taking it inside for the night. I haven't had it freeze up on me that way.

Thanks for the help everyone. Setting it in there sideways sounds like an easy solution. Will probably but some silicone drops in there as well.

Mine rides in the truck with me.. I guess if it was froze down, its not by the time I get to the lake...

But I too store it on its side, but more because I am constantly moving, and its easier than because I am worried about it freezing up.

I do like the idea of the 3 drops of silicone. Thanks for that tip.