• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Croix River GTG, Sat, Feb 28th

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DonBo,

My wife, daughter, and myself will be attending as well. Let me know if there is anything you would like us to bring. Thanks for putting this together. My wife and I fished the Croix this evening for the first time. Lots of fish on the flasher but we were only able to coax a couple up the hole. They were the biggest crappies we have caught all season!

dougr, that's the way it's been, though maybe a new location will help with the numbers, the size has been NICE! Seems everytime out at least one is 12+". Thats a nice crappie anywhere.

Looking fwd.to meeting you and your family.

Still looking for someone to bring some brats/buns or treats of some kind. Interested in that at all?

Honda, no guarantee we'll leave any slabbers for ya. Sounds like we're gonna have a good crew and we'll be puttin' the big hurt on the local population! grin

ShawnnyB and I are planing on making it out there, but I have a couple of questions. Never ice fished the St. Croix, so I'm not sure which would be better. The ice house or portables. Is there much moving around out there, or do you pretty much set up and stay? Obviously the house will be more comfy, but I'd also like to catch fish smile

The other thing is, should I be concerned about pulling a house out there for the afternoon? Does the ice vary greatly out on the river in that area, or is it pretty solid everywhere, within reason of course?

Whatever you're most comfortable with for a shack is fine. The fish have been finicky. I have found patience to be key to putting fish on the ice. I set up and stay put.

The area we will be fishing right now has 30" of good solid clear ice. I don't see it deterierating anytime soon.

Happy to have you. Later in the week I'll try to fill everyone in on what is working for bait/jigs, etc. along with current conditions.

Sounds good. The ice really doesn't concern me, at least not yet. Funny, seeing as it's a river, and I've never been out there. I'll talk with Shawn and see how he feels about the house. If mobility isn't key, It'll probably be out.

I have a colman stove and dinette that can be used if anyone wanted to heat up anything for the GTG.

Hovermn, on warmer days I like to chase around the open ice. I prefer going from hole to hole chasing active fish. Once it gets cold though I have a tough time keeping my fingers warm, so I'll stay in one spot. Both techniques work fine really. Most guys I see out there are using portables if they don't already have a permanent house on the ice, or if they only show up for the a couple hours after work or something they just use their trucks as wind breaks and sit on a bucket or chair.

If you read through this whole post and the St. Croix Fishing Report post you'll get a good idea of what's working. I will put a full report on here in another day or two.

Here's the fishing report;

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...g_report#UNREAD

Hey DonBo,

Sounds like our trip back up to the Apostle Islands might fall through for this weekend. Might be able to make it down to Bayport! Never fished the river, but looking at the map You're in 35-40fow? Just wondering so I could be rigged before hand. Do you have any directions as to where the landing on the Wisconsin side is? (I'd probally be coming down WI35) and then drive across to the Bayport landing, if you know the ice is good.

Thanks for organizing, if I go I will bring the misses or a friend or two! And a whole bunch of pickled fish that will be ready in a few days smile

Sounds good! The Wisconsin access is not as good as the Bayport one, but is still doable.

If you are coming south on 35, take a right at the 1st (only) gas station just before you come into North Hudson. Bottom of hill take a right at the "T". That will take you through a park and down to the river. Take the ice road straight across to the meeting spot at the Bayport access.

Okay guys, here's the deal. I need a head count. IF you are coming for lunch, please leave a post here saying so.

We will meet at the Bayport access at noon. If you can't make it for lunch but still want to fish with us, please email me. (my address is at the bottom of this post) I won't post where we will be fishing to keep lurkers away.

I will be bringing some venison steaks and burger and all the stuff we need to make this work; paper plates, paper towels, ketchup, spices, utencils, etc.

Bring your own beverages.

croixflats has volunteered to bring a large grill and charcoal, trash can. Also some spicy chx wings. Thanks!

B-man715 is bringing some pickled fish.

Cheetah is bringing cookies and brownies. Mmmmm...I love brownies.

Quetico is bringing some dogs and buns.

hovermn is bringing chips.

eyesnfries and threerivers will be bringing buns and more burgers.

Tommyk will bring some beverages

WE NEED:Sounds like we've got the food pretty much figured out unless maybe someone's got something special to throw on the grill if it looks like we are going to have a big turnout. Any ideas?

I can't add anything more about the fishing than what has already been posted here or on the "St. Croix Fishing Report" post.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...g_report#UNREAD

So please read these through to learn what is working out there now. Red seems to be a pretty consistant color.

The ice conditions remain perfect with 30 inches of clear solid ice. If anyone has current conditions with the new snow, please let us know.

So please post here on who's coming and what you would like to bring. Sounds like we should have a good time. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.

NOTE: I will update what is needed here, so keep checking back to this post.