Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappiesNCats

Discussion: CPR vs Economy and other Issues

19 posts in this topic

I don't want to get into an argument but was thinking after reading the Attitudes and Albert Lea threads.

Does a struggling economy hinder catch and release attitudes and practices? Encourage people to stretch (break) the law?

Curious. its just something I have been thinking about. I know we have a huge contingency of CPR folk here, but what do you think.

and: (perhaps this belongs in a seperate thread)

what can we do to change attitudes toward CPR, especially among different/prevalent south central mn cultures? or are we best served worrying about only ourselves?

The first part has already been discussed in here a couple times, most recently here:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1698030/1

As for the second part: EDU-MA-CATION is the only way, but at the end of the day, you can't make other people do what you want and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It may appear as a cultural thing, and it may be some extent, but there are plenty of good ol' minnesota borne and raised folks without a CPR attitude.

Here is my .02

The DNR is paid to manage the fisheries. They set limits etc...I impose my own limits such as releasing 20"+ walleyes (spawners) and eating only the 15-20" fish. That being said, I absolutely will keep my limit of 'eyes. If its gonna hurt the fishery, then the DNR isn't doing their job in setting the limits correctly.

The only other fish I eat are panfish and occasionally a few northerns.

I guess I'd rather take what I need, which isn't much, rather than basing my limits on what the DNR says. I have a tough time, even with 3 or 4 people eating a limit of walleyes. I don't like to keep / freeze fish much either, good economy or not. If my money was so tight I had to keep all the fish I could, I'd be fooling myself. Every fish fillet I've put on the table myself has cost me way more than a store bought fillet or meal of anykind. Nothing wrong with keeping fish Selectively, to keep and eat, but to rely on the lake as a foodshelf, I'm not so sure I agree.

I was just thinking about apex predators such as big pike and muskies and their effects on lakes. They do a great job at balancing out of balancing (perch, sunfish, ect) out over-populated / stunted fish lower on the pyramid, per se. But I don't think they store them anywhere, like we do. Wolves don't kill and store for later either. It was just a thought. We are the ultimate apex predator, and wonder why we harvest and collect fish like we do??

Quote:
If its gonna hurt the fishery, then the DNR isn't doing their job in setting the limits correctly.

I don't buy this argument.

The only way the DNR can accurately set the correct limits for all types of fish is to have near perfect information on every lake & then tailor the limits to every individual lake based on populations, cycles, baitfish, recruitment, etc.

Can you imagine the outcry if each lake had its own limit? Yikers.

So saying "It's the limit" isn't really a valid argument. I could take my limit of pike out of Mille Lacs three times per week & probably never impact the fishery. If I did the same on small metro lakes they'd be hammered fast & take years to recover.

I'd have to agree with Wade on this one Max. The DNR bases their rules on creel surveys, netting results, etc. and they do impose special regs. on certain waters as a result. You're right that no one rule can be applied to all situations but they do the best they can with what they have to work with all while trying to satisfy their clients...us.

How I choose to harvest when I go fishing impacts the DNR test results and so they make the rules accordingly. They don't make the rules by drawing from a hat. At least I hope not.

I don't feel I'm qualified to decide how many fish I can harvest and what size from a particular body of water. Therefore, I trust that the DNR is keeping tabs on the fishery and setting limits and other restrictions as needed.

Bob

Edit: I'm not strictly a C&R fisherman and so I will harvest fish when I want a meal and I may even take a few more than a meal for the freezer (within legal limits) if I happen to catch a good bite. If that means I am robbing the fishery then so be it. I enjoy eating fish and I won't apologize for that.

The sour economy doesn't mean I go fishing more often, it means I keep more of what I catch when I DO get fishing. I'm out there to have a great time and don't generally get bothered when I come home and have a meal that doesn't have fish in it. But since I'm going fishing anyway, and am in money saving mode now, it's cheaper to keep more of those fish for meals than it is to spend more money on other things for lunch/supper at the grocery store.

Does anyone really think the DNR just pulls some numbers out of the air for what it taken from a lake? I am sure they don't know the exact numbers, but there is a system they use and it is probably pretty accurate as to how much is taken. If not we would have a pretty lousy fishery.

Sorry to digress and change subjects, but this very conversation is where the 2 line bill has issues.

All of the data and harvest rates the DNR uses is mostly through creel survey data and the like. It is this reason why I am not 100% for 2 lines.

No, they do not pull numbers out of a hat to set limits.

Yes, in a perfect world each lake would be managed individually.

I love fish, therefore, I eat them! No one should feel guilty about what they harvest as long as it's w/in the limit!

I guess it affects each person differently. If I'm unemployed and hungry, you bet I will live on fish if I have to. I'd call it cashing in my rainy day fund, since I rarely keep anything now.

I guess it affects each person differently. If I'm unemployed and hungry, you bet I will live on fish if I have to. I'd call it cashing in my rainy day fund, since I rarely keep anything now.

Thats what I did at school. Now I dont keep a thing. I dont have any problem with keeping fish if you need to eat. It kept me going through some tough times and Im sure not going to feel bad about it. While I never broke a law, I did eat fish 3-4 times a week.

As long as its within the laws I have no problem. When people start stuffing the freezer and going over the limit, then its a problem.

Im sure there are a few more people out there keeping fish now, but I think most people still go fishing to have fun, not get food. There are lots of easier/more reliable ways to get some food other than fishing.

I am probably a 90% CPR type of person, the other 10% is usually because my kids want to keep their catch, we all like fish, but just not very often, or if the fish gets injured, then I will keep it, instead of sending it back to die. If I needed to live off of fishing, I think I would starve, I spend way more on fishing then I do food!

what can we do to change attitudes toward CPR, especially among different/prevalent south central mn cultures? or are we best served worrying about only ourselves?

Don't need to do much I don't think. Catch and release is huge everywhere you go, even southern MN. Most fisherman I know and that goes for almost everywhre in the state are more C&R,(actually I would call it selective harvest like In-fisherman does)than catch and keep everything.

Sometimes the C&R crowd gets a little overzealous IMO. As long as you eat what you keep and are not keeping a huge amount of fish, there is nothing wrong with keeping some for the table.

Oh and yes, I release the big ones back in the lake, and release the eaters into hot peanut oil, fish taste good.

Quote:
How I choose to harvest when I go fishing impacts the DNR test results and so they make the rules accordingly. They don't make the rules by drawing from a hat. At least I hope not.

Oh yes, I wasn't saying that the DNR is pulling this stuff out of their arses. Just that I don't like hearing the argument "If the DNR says it's OK to take three pike a day & I can do that & it hurts the fishery, it's the DNR screwing up." I think folks have to use their heads based on the lake they're fishing (& I suspect folks here have better heads on their shoulders in this regard than the general population).

As for the original post, I've given it some thought. If I, personally, was laid off, I would eat more of the fish that I caught. I can't speak for others, but my 2-3 meals per year out of metro waters would definitely rise.

Mr. Steve Foss,

Since you've been in this thread, I wanted to say that the pic in the Fall issue of the Boundary Waters Journal of the black wolf was fantastic. Stellar work!

I'm up and down on CPR. I do it now more than I ever have. I have my own slot on the Croix. I keep between 16 and 20 inchers. Mainly try to stay with 18 inchers if I'm keeping any. Now, I don't need to keep a limit. A couple is fine. There are times i would keep a limit if I have had a hard time getting in my slot and get into a hot bite. I love to eat fish about once a week, sometimes a couple of times. I've kept a limit of 6, filleted 'em up and took 'em to work to have a small fish fry. They all enjoyed that. I do that at least once a year.

Poeple do lie on creel surveys.

Soooo therefore the data collected is worthless and should be thrown away. People lie on this site about being C&R proponents too. I know plenty that would claim to support it without actually practicing.

Bob

I don't fish for food. that being said, nothing beats fried lake trout or a nice walleye dinner. if i get hungry enough i can always shoot a deer