• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

getting into muskie fisherman

I am an avid fisherman mainly just Smallies and Largemouths but i went this past summer Muskie Fishing for the first time and i got hooked completely!! I wanna get some expert info on good tackle and everything needed to begin muskie fishing...If u want to u can send me a PM as well.

Thanks for all ur input and insight!

Quote:
I no im tryign to but it sucks because im at college right now so its tough to get our there!

um. i think you may misinterpret.... i mean, get out of muskie fishing before it is for sure too late to do it. grin

nah really. it's not exasperating at times. never disconcerting. hardly ever a time you feel like going out in weather that would make a penguin seek cover. no matter what boat you have you'll never feel you need better, and you definatly won't stoop to chopping ice to get one last cast from your boat.. just a few lures will do, no need for hundreds of them. heck, even a cheap old rod and reel is enough. heart pounding is for sissy's so you'll never have that happen from a boat side appearance, and you'll never have nightmares afterwards either. muskie fishing's a breeze. if you believe that... you are absolutely in the right place. the guys here will hook you up. don't worry. oh, and just so you know... you'll never spend more than 5 bucks on a lure again. whistle

A good place to start is right here! Go back in the pages of this forum, and you will find information about all kinds of lures, rods, reels,release tools ,and just about everything else .

It sounds like you have been bitten by the ADDICTION !! So there is hope for you now! grin

I'm sure everyone will tell you about the "magic" lures and all - that said, I'd start with a good reel. You don't have to spend a ton of $$ but simply loading one of your current bass reels with heavy line may not be the best approach - I blew up a couple bass reels when I tried to use the with the bigger lures. While everyone has opinions about specific reels for specific applications, I think its pretty universal that an Abu 6500 is a good starting point. I also remember Rob Kimm posting that he's used the Abu 7000's for years - even before the Cowgirl craze took over. Sorry for the wordy response. Like Biggie said up above once you're in now. I realized that since I caught the musky bug I haven't hardly tossed a bass lure in two years...

LIARS,, All of you! I read this colum for about 6 months, all the tips, all the tools. Bought a rod/reel and 2 lures. Next thing you know I have no place to put these Moby [PoorWordUsage] sized sharp thingys, so I bought a tackle box. Hum more space, had to but just a couple more, Then the release tools just in case I hook myself. oh ya a net big enough the indians on milacs get green with envoy during netting season looking at it. Tackle box too small now, read some more, Hey it says do a 8 when you get a follow, if it dont hit quick switch baits. Quick switch= buy second pole. IT NEVER STOPS! This thing is worse then having a heroin and a hooker habit

LOL, ya, this is funny, it all started for me going for northerns with a friend and had a muskie follow in the daredevil. 8 years later now, though I only have 2 in the boat to my name. Yes get a good rod and reel and removing tools. Stay tuned in this forum and look back at other posts for ideas and have fun

Keep your eyes open for good deals on used rods and baits. The only way I'd buy a used reel is from someone you know has only sparingly used it or if you know how to repair them. I got a 7' St. Croix triumph with a 6500 c3 on it for $110 last year from gander so watch store sales too. For starter basics I would pick up a black mepps marabou, perch suick 9" weighted, super shad rap, release tools, and some plano boxes to store baits in.

Quote:
I realized that since I caught the musky bug I haven't hardly tossed a bass lure in two years...

Good advice given thus far, but HugoBox may have given the best advice without really knowing it, and I can totally relate. I got the muskie bug bad and lost sight of all my bass fishing, even though I looked at/past the bass rods in the rack every time I went out.

Add muskie fishing to your options, but don't let it become the only option. I look back at how many times I chased muskies with no results, worried about the water temps being too high, all while I passed over great bass waters, most often on the same lake.

Muskies are a blast, but try to keep them that way, and not too much work and a substitute to other angling options.

Good luck and have FUN with it!

Chris

Aw c'mon Chris, that's no way to feed an addiction! But probably good advice - though good luck following it. Too funny Macho. We all feel for you in advance MNSU, 'cause we've all been there. Wouldn't change it though. Start by going to the expo, maybe even two days worth. Best $17 you could spend. Sit in on many seminars. Talk to as many people/vendors as possible before making up your mind. You'll have plenty of time between then and the season opening. Start slow, you'll be adding and refining plenty as you go along on this deal.

I'm in the mindset of if your going to do something do it right the first time. Don't skimp on quality, saving a buck to get started will cost more in the long run on unwanted equipment. Been there done that. Don't buy lures that just look cool, ask the locals what they recomend on the waters you plan to fish the most. Every lake will be different on what baits work and what colors are better. Get a good net, a pair of Nipex and some long neddlenose, then buy your rods, reels and baits.

Try tagging along with others and try their gear out till you find what you like then go get it. Not clue where your at but I will always let someone getting into the sport try out my gear if they would like.

Welcome to the addiction, and to the nightmeres that come with it grin

Hey if he's young enough & not married yet could be cheaper than later, you know lawer fees & all LOL laugh

Oh I can second that about lawyer feels and all LOL. Oh well on that. People I work with just laugh at me about lures, etc. I will complain about having to pay $8 for a burger or $20 for a pair of jeans, but "I got a sweet deal on a double cowgirl for $22" LOL

Be prepared to spend a lot of money. I agree to buy all the necessary tools or at least fish with someone that has them before buying your rod/reels and lures. This is the mistake I made 5 years ago when I started throwing the big stuff. The result was some mishandling of fish that should have never happened. If you ever want to go fishing sometime I can help you out with some of these things. Best of luck!

Good Tools and a fin saver net are key! I saw someone else mention this, HAVE FUN and keep it SIMPLE in the beginning.

If your around stilwater this summer I could help you out as well, good luck and enjoy. Get out with a few guys this summer and test out their gear, baits, tools and witness the process of proper catch, pic and release.

Dan, your only problem is that your boat is to small! :P

Seriously, if you or anyone is interested in getting into muskie fishing I would say join Muskies Inc. It's lower the learning curve if you're willing to get out of your shell. We've also got tons of people with too much [PoorWordUsage] in our garage that we're usually looking to unload cheap.

If you're looking to get outfitted the best thing you can do is to buy used quality reels and rods. That way you can get something you'll like to fish with for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of new. Shoot, I'm sure if I dug for 1/2 hour around here I could find some stuff as could most everyone else on the board.

You can google twin cities muskies inc and find us.