• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mice proofing a shed.

eyemaster

I have a piece of land up north that I camp on. I am thinking of building a shed approx 9 x 10 and putting in cabinets, sink. stove, fridge etc. I would put it on Planks so it is not a permanent structure. One of the concerns I have is keeping mice out of the building.

What reccomendations does anyone have

I heard someplace that putting a cup of straight cleaning ammonia out will keep them out. I suspect it might work but only until the stuff evaporates. Redlantern is right - your best way to keep them out is done while building it.

Build it tight so mice can't get in.

Thats the only guaranteed way to keep them out.

Ive had my cabin since 2000, and finally have it so they cant get into the cabin at least. They followed in a tube used to feed the AC lines out to the condenser and the propane line back in. Had to pour it full of conrete. They came in under the slab, into two small openings we left in the floor for plumbing access. Poured them full now too.

They still eat the weatherstripping off the garage door bottoms at the end and enter the garage. I fixed that with steel wool when I close them up to leave.

Making the landscape a little mouse house friendly will help also. A manicured lawn will attract more mice to your structure. We have buffalo grass for our yard, which doesnt have to be mowed, gets to about a foot tall, goes dormant or greens up, depending on the weather. I only mow about 6 feet around the structure, the rest I let grow.

I appreciate your feedback. I know that the tighter I build it the better my chances are of keeping them out. I know they can come in small holes or cracks. I was hoping that I would get some other hints....

Does sealing all joints with something like liquid nail help?

I do appreciate the lawn tip. I assumed the opposite. Why does a manicured lawn attract more mice?

Mothballs in an onion sack works well on keeping mice out, I use it under my boat tarp when I put it away for the year.

Jar Jar

I'll second the use of mothballs in keeping mice out of things. Have used them in combine cabs to prevent any wiring from being chewed on for years. Build your shed as tight as possible, then put some inside for insurance against mice if they do find away inside.

Farmer