• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A stitch in time . . .

With my 17-40 about to go out the door (trading it for a 10-22), I thought I'd take advantage of the bright sun and blue sky and snow to take a five-image pano of a common and popular local scene and stitch them together. I've been wanting to do this pano for awhile, and the lens leaving and Dan's posting the Metrodome pano got me going this afternoon.

I posted a 900 pixel image here first and then tried to link to a 3,000 pixel image on flickr and then tried to post the 3,000 pixel image below as well. Neither of the latter two worked, so I guess it'll just have to be the 900 pixel view. Bumping it up to 100 percent on my screen, the full-sized file (85 Mb) is full of rich detail.

I still have a little work to do on the skies. Even at 28mm there was a bit of barrel distortion and a touch of vignetting (which I could mostly take care of in PS but not quite completely), so there were a couple sky edges in the stitch that needed mending. I need to clean them up a bit more.

Canon 30D, Canon 17-40 f4L at 28mm, manual settings for consistent exposure from frame to frame, iso100, 1/320 @ f9, leveled tripod, pan/tilt head

3283117690_0a16c7aea9_o.jpg

Longcaster, not sure about jackpine ridge. This is a view of the escarpment north of Shagawa Lake just west of the intersection of Cty. 88 (Grant McMahan Blvd) and Cty. 116 (Echo Trail).

Here's a repost.

The first is stitched using the Canon PhotoStitch software that came with the camera. It's the one posted above. The second was stitched using Adobe Bridge Photoshop tools. The latter clearly did a better job of stitching, particularly on the sky (much easier to see on the full-sized version but also visible here). I didn't have to mend/blend any sky seams at all. It also allowed me to stitch the RAW files and use advanced settings, which Photostitch does not. I'll be using Bridge from now on.

3283117690_0a16c7aea9_o.jpg

3283439340_44a9c1f2a5_o.jpg