• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5.3 gas mileage improvement

what are some good ways to improve mileage in my 2003 gmc sierra 5.3

i dont want things like dont drive as hard or inflate the tires

what kind of computer programmer is the best and how much would a roll up toneau cover help and how much would a k&n air intake help

If you are just looking to save money by improving fuel economy, it would be hard to get your money back from a chip or a cover. If you already need a cargo cover, the effect is it may improve economy slightly. Power chips and intake kits don't do a ton for gas vehicles

Intakes are marginal on the gas motors, they will have a dyno sheet on the HSOforum to show what they gain. Its mostly the sound of it that get peoples crank turning.

The chips/programers on the other hand can do a lot. I sold one to a freind for his yukon before he drove to vegas and with it on the economy setting he got 20-22mpg. Sounds far fetched but I have heard it a few times from different people that I sold them too. The freind also bought 2 more of them for his other trucks, so it must have done something. The power gains were pretty good with it set to the high performance. I would guess it opened up 30 hp or so compared to stock. Again the factory HSOforum for them would beable to provide dyno results.

Do your math before buyng something expensive that might not work.

If you drive 15,000 miles/year and do 15mpg you will spend approx $ 2,000 in gas (@ $ 2.00/gallon).

If a chip/programmer make you gain 2mpg you will spend approx $ 1750 in fuel. A chip will cost between $ 300 to $ 900 depending on brand and type. It will take many years to recoup the gain.

In my opinion if it was easy to get more miles per gallon the manufacturers would be doing it. I would question any of these ads and "dyno" reports from the companies that sell the bolt on junk. I would save my money and by the gas.

It would only sell Hypertech. It seems to be the one with the best customer support and most features.

Im not saying that the programers are a fix all. But, I also had a speed shop that I dealt with that did lots of dyno work and they did see the biggest difference was always with the programers. Like I said, Im not sure if the economy results told to me were true. However, the guy owned a landscaping company and bought more of them to save some dough on gas. He drove a couple hundred miles a day, so it had to do something good for him to drop that kind of money on it. Everyone else I sold them to loved them too. I have sold somewhere in the ballpark of 30 programers.

I usually take good customer feedback to heart because usually if something doesnt work, it would get thrown back in my face right away. Most people also dont come back to say thank you for selling them a $400 part, they just go on their way and dont come back unless they have a problem. That is why I say go for the computer vs. the intake. I dont always have the best feedback on the intakes, but I always got good feedback on the programers.

Consider your oil. AMSOIL will increase fuel economy, conservative numbers 3% to 5% over conventional petroleum lubes, and many people get considerably more. The best improvement - get the Signature Series 0W-30 (some get as much as 10% fuel economy improvement). And it can be a very low cost improvement. Sugg retail $11.10 per qt, $66.60 for 6 qts for the 5.3; don't forget the filter - EaO64 for the 2003 5.3 and 6.0 for $16.65. And it can go for up to a 1 year oil change (or 17,500 miles severe duty). It will also reduce wear by 50%, so the bottom line cost is really low.

Anything you do will not make enough difference to cover the cost of whatever you did. If you figure it out whatever you do will give you a cost savings of about 1 cent per mile. You'll have to drive around 50,000 miles before you recoup the cost of an average tonneau cover.

If you want fuel efficiency than drive a car. If you want something that can get you and your stuff wherever you need to go, haul whatever you need, Tow whatever you want etc than you drive a truck. Not because it rides the best, gets the best fuel economy, or is the fastest on the road but because of its practicality to do whatever we need it to do!

I have an '03 5.3L with 148,000 miles I put on it.

I run Amsoil Synthetic in the everything and have seen a MPG improvement!

The Amsoil PI that you put in the gas cleans like a white tornado and also improves the MPG.

Let us know what you do and the improvement...

Hi, I also have an 03 GMC with the 5.3. I am currently getting 12-14 in town and 17-18 HWY. The only thing I have done is to install a K&N air filter. What kind of mileage are you getting now and what are you trying to achieve?

Do your engine a favor: Take the K&N air filter out of it, it lets too much dust & sand in your engine and could lower it's life.

Put in an Amsoil Air Filter - it flows very well and the performance will be the same.

Sorry, won't take out my K&N. I've been using them for 25+ years and have never had an engine failure. Trannies are another story. I personally have noticed a slight mileage gain and better towing. I've had them in my ATV's, cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I think they are way better than paper filters. Just my 2 cents.

I'm guessing it's going to be roughly the same.

If gas mileage is a really big deal, get a car.

I really doubt all the tweaks you could find will net you more than MAYBE 1 or 2 MPG on a really good day, and less on average.

If there was a bunch of hidden MPG, wouldn't it seem logical the manufacturer would use that to their advantage for CAFE standards and competitive advantage?

Sorry, won't take out my K&N. I've been using them for 25+ years and have never had an engine failure. Trannies are another story. I personally have noticed a slight mileage gain and better towing. I've had them in my ATV's, cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I think they are way better than paper filters. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, they let the engine breathe more - but if you were to do a UOA (Used Oil Analysis), you will see a high Silicon content, which leads to "Engine Wear"!

I've read literally hundreds of UOA's.

To get a similar high flow, install the Amsoil EAA Air Filter with the synthetic media - it will let the engine breathe as the K&N does, WITHOUT letting in the dirt...!

I like the original power programer II, but they also got the econ and the max energy. If your going to use it for power as well as the economy side get the max energy. Its like 379.99 or so. Check out hypertech's HSOforum. Look under products and you will see what is best for you. Personally, I would get the max power with the power selection too, it makes towing much nicer. I know its not a gas motor, but my best freind's diesel dodge grabbed an extra 50hp and 130ft lb of torque on the dyno day at S&S. Really nice for towing if you ask me. The 5.3 in a sierra should be in the ballpark of 10-15 hp and 15-20ft lb of torque depending on the setting. Not bad for not even getting your hands dirty if you ask me.

Oh yeah, and like dtro said, drive it nice and you will get a big difference too. Just being easy on the throttle will get you a couple extra mpg's that are completely free.

Originally Posted By: gunmunky

Yes, they let the engine breathe more - but if you were to do a UOA (Used Oil Analysis), you will see a high Silicon content, which leads to "Engine Wear"!

I've read literally hundreds of UOA's.

To get a similar high flow, install the Amsoil EAA Air Filter with the synthetic media - it will let the engine breathe as the K&N does, WITHOUT letting in the dirt...!

How much do those filters run and do you recommend a different intake when using them?