Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chode2235

Ice cleat recommendations?

29 posts in this topic

Spent the day slipping and sliding around on the ice, and figured it was time to invest in some ice cleats.

What are you all using, and what do you recommend?

Thanks.

I purchased a set at Wally world. I have had them for over five years. Work great, and didn't cost a whole lot.

I was thinking the same thing Chode... The lake I was on last night looked like a skating rink. I got a couple free auger rides and a bruised hip.

Yaktrax have always been really good to me. I like them because you pretty much walk like normal and they bite really well. I also have a set of those sno-chains and they do decent too.

I have had pretty good luck with Yaktrax, but prefer the $5 HT's you can get just about anywhere even AWL TRAM. Just make sure they will fit over your boots before you buy them a lesson I learned more than once.

I use HT aswell. Just gotta make sure you keep the weight on your toes because there isn't any cleats on the heal.

I screwed short sheet metal screws in the bottom of my boots and they work great

I use Yaktrax and they have been better than I expected.

Dairyman, I did the same thing when I was kid to old sneakers! They worked great, had forgotten about that until you mentioned it!!

$5 HT's. They work great

Yep, on my third pair of HT's now. They wear out after a while,but for the price,who cares?

I love my STABILlicers as they fit me well and stay on, give me great traction and I am on my third season with them. They still look and grip like new.

On days 20 degrees or warmer, I wear my hunting boots with STABILICERS

On colder days, I wear my Pac Boots with hex-head studs screwed right into the bottom of the boots.

YakTrax now. I used to use an old pair of military issue cleats from my grandpa. I have seen them as cheap as $5 at army surplus stores.

Ice spiders for me. A littel spendy but they are super light weight, won't freeze up and have logging cleats on the bottom. Guaranteed not to slip.

I'm on my 2nd paid of $5 HT in about 4 years. I bought a new pair this year and the first time i went to put them on they snapped, got them replaced tho. You cant go wrong for $5

The HT's work pretty well. The lakes were glare ice this weekend and it was like walking on normal pavement. You still need to be careful and step with caution but they pass the test.

There used to be a sponsor of this site that made great ice cleats, they are a black one piece steel that flexs in the middle, sharp cleats front and back, held on with two straps, best ice cleats I've ever had. Friday I was walking on glare ice just like it was dry concrete. And very comfortable, no lump under one part of your foot. I wonder if he's still making them??