• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insulating a drop ceiling

echo2010

I have a suspended ceiling in my basement with fluorescent lighting and 2x4 ceiling tiles.

How would i go about putting insulation up to help with the noise that you hear when downstairs?

Can I just lay it right on top of the tiles? or would that be to heavy?

IMO, it is not a good idea to lay the batts over the tile and grid. First, the grid is not designed to handle that kind of weight and will sag over a few months. Also the individual tiles will begin to sag. Second, check the lights out but it is unlikely they are rated for insulation directly over them. The batts will cause them to overheat and the ballasts will fail and possibly you would have a fire. A better idea is to place the batts up between the floor joists. If you use a kraft faced batt you can staple it to the joists. Or simply put some supports across the joist spaces to hold the batts up.

IMO, it is not a good idea to lay the batts over the tile and grid. First, the grid is not designed to handle that kind of weight and will sag over a few months. Also the individual tiles will begin to sag. Second, check the lights out but it is unlikely they are rated for insulation directly over them. The batts will cause them to overheat and the ballasts will fail and possibly you would have a fire. A better idea is to place the batts up between the floor joists. If you use a kraft faced batt you can staple it to the joists. Or simply put some supports across the joist spaces to hold the batts up.
Thats what I was concerned about Thank you!

before you install the drop ceiling put up 2x4's then the drop cieling then you can use r-11 for sound proofing.r-11 is all they use for sound proofing we have done this so many times expecailly for bathrooms
The drop ceiling was done when the house was built 9 years ago. When I first bought the home I disliked the ceiling down there, but a toilet leak and a disconnected ice maker line later...Ive learned to love it! lol

If you put up the noise barrier how are you going to be able to overhear what the kids are up to in the basement? I'm sure my mom and dad busted be a couple times when things either got too noisy or too quiet.
Very true.....but this is a split level and the sound carries pretty bad

well if yo cant take down the cieling and put a sound proofing above the cieling tile and you learned to love it why post?

the only way is to take down the cieling and then sound prof the joists or cieling then rebuild the tiles, its the only way,, sorry but i dont get what exactly what your asking now?

well if yo cant take down the cieling and put a sound proofing above the cieling tile and you learned to love it why post?

the only way is to take down the cieling and then sound prof the joists or cieling then rebuild the tiles, its the only way,, sorry but i dont get what exactly what your asking now?

I liked the fact that I didnt need to tear sheet rock out after a leak...just replaced a couple tiles.

I hate the fact that you can hear everything that goes on upstairs...downstairs.

Every step, door etc.

I want to get rid of some of the excess noise.

you can always take down the cieling and put up 1x1's or 2x4s put in r-11 then rebuilding the ceiling the r-11 is a noise barrier or go get the one inch insulation on the 1x1's. the stuff they use for insulating duct work. thats the best i can tell you from experience as what i did many yrs go.I orked with insulation company for 5 yrs this is the only way to insulate or have a noise barrier. anything else best of luck on your project.

you can always take down the cieling and put up 1x1's or 2x4s put in r-11 then rebuilding the ceiling the r-11 is a noise barrier or go get the one inch insulation on the 1x1's. the stuff they use for insulating duct work. thats the best i can tell you from experience as what i did many yrs go.I orked with insulation company for 5 yrs this is the only way to insulate or have a noise barrier. anything else best of luck on your project.
Huh??

Remove your drop ceiling tiles, place r11 insulation between floor joists,(if using batted insulation staple insulation in place to floor joists), if added support is needed nail wood strips across insulation to hold in place, and then replace drop ceiling tiles... Its just that easy...

It WILL sag for sure. I thought I had some pictures of an apartment I own that was insulated like this, but cant find them. The whole ceiling had to be torn down. (Luckily for us there was 13ft tin ceilings up underneath there.) You absolutely can not put that much weight on the panels. Best bet is to get it up into the joists and staple it or put thin strips like mentioned above.

Remove your drop ceiling tiles, place r11 insulation between floor joists,(if using batted insulation staple insulation in place to floor joists), if added support is needed nail wood strips across insulation to hold in place, and then replace drop ceiling tiles... Its just that easy...
So wuld i use the stuff with paper on it?

Would it be ok to have insulation with a vapor barrier on it??

It WILL sag for sure. I thought I had some pictures of an apartment I own that was insulated like this, but cant find them. The whole ceiling had to be torn down. (Luckily for us there was 13ft tin ceilings up underneath there.) You absolutely can not put that much weight on the panels. Best bet is to get it up into the joists and staple it or put thin strips like mentioned above.
Part that bites is going around all the heat vents and Ducts

Originally Posted By: LightningBG

Just suck it up and just get it done!! LOL

Originally Posted By: echo2010
Originally Posted By: LightningBG

Just suck it up and just get it done!! LOL

But I dont want to get all itchy and stuff.....*girly whine*