• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you look for in a rod

gunning

I'm kind of going through all of my bass stuff doing an inventory of sorts and thinking about what I might want to add. I will be adding a rod and reel this year. I'm seeing a lot of specific rods for different aspects of bass fishing like spinnerbait, crankbait, frog, swimbait, flipping, pitching ext... It kind of has me second guessing how I’m using my stuff, LOL. I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference but what's your preference for length, action and what kind of tip do you like for:

Spinnerbaits

Crankbaits

Pitchin

Flipin

Finesse spinning rig.

Drop shot rig.

I want to limit my self to about 4 baitcasters and 2 spinning reels in a boat at one time.

gunning, first of all welcome to Fishingminnesota!

here is what I like for the rods mentioned, and like you said, much of it comes down to personal preference so mine may be much different than others

Spinnerbaits: 6'6" Medium Fast Action (Cast)

Crankbaits: 7'0" Medium Heavy Moderate Action (Cast)

Pitching/Flipping: 7'0" Medium Heavy Fast Action (Cast)

Finesse spinning rod/Drop shot rod: 7'2" Medium Extra Fast Action (Spin)

In my opinion if your going to carry 4 baitcasters and 2 spinning rods in the boat you could probably get away with using the same rod for pitching and flipping and the same rod for finesse spinning and drop shot. Doing this will allow you to get 2 more "inbetween" rods of your choice. For example a shorter 6' 6" Medium fast action spinning rod for docks, jigworms, plastics, etc and maybe a 7ft Medium fast action casting rod for topwater, swim jigs, soft stick baits, lighter texas rigs and jigs amoung others.

This is what I have right now

7’0” Fenwick Heavy Fast Action

7’0” St Croix Triumph Medium Heavy Fast Action

6’6” Ugly Stick Medium

When I got the Fenwick my idea was I wanted to go with a heavy bass rod I could use primarily as a flipping stick but also use for pike. I have a Quantum Iron round reel on this rod and I just can’t stand the reel its getting 86ed this year. I usually use this combo as a spinnerbait rod or throw a jig on it. 90% of the time when I’m throwing a jig I pitch it instead of flip it, to be honest I can pitch pretty well but my flipping technique when you pull out line with your left hand needs a lot of work. With this rod length and stiffer tip makes me not enjoy pitching with this set up very much. I’m kind of stuck throwing just heavier baits with this set up. I might like this rod more if I had a different reel on it.

My St Croix is maybe my favorite rod it has a fast action tip but it is a little softer tip than the Fenwick. I can cast spinnerbaits very well and I can pitch with this rod better than the Fenwick, the St Croix is pretty versatile. I’m thinking this will probably be my spinnerbait rod this year. I have a Daiwa Procaster on it.

Now the Ugly Stick I’m kind of partial to. I learned how to use a baitcaster on an Ugly Stick years ago and it is very versatile. I can throw crankbaits, spinnerbaits, frogs, pretty much anything with it and I like pitching with it. I think I’m a little more accurate pitching with it because its shorter and has a little softer tip but I know it doesn’t have the horsepower to drag a fish out of heavy cover. I know there are better rods out their that can do the same thing that are lighter and stronger but I will wait until next year to kick the Ugly Stick out of the boat.

I’m kind of stuck on what I want to get. I know 9 time out of 10 when I go out fishing I want to have a rod rigged up with a 1.spinnerbait, 2. jig&pig, 3.Texas rig 4.either a topwater/crankbait/swimbait. If you were me what would you go out and get in the $100 price range. I'm kind of just trying to get some ideas.

Spinnerbaits- I like a 6'6"-7' rod with a fast tip and mh power. I go with the 6'6" a lot if im casting to visual targets and a 7'er if i am fishing a little deeper

crankbaits- I like a 7' med, mod tip. I often use a glass rod , but the new graphites are very good too. I like my deep crankbait rods to have a little "whip" action in them.

pitchin- I like a 7'6" fast action, heavy power. I ussually do most of my pitching in deeper water, and like to have a lot of control over the presentation and the fish.

flippin- I like a 7'6" mod./fast, heavy power. I don't like to have such a no-give rod when fishing within flipping distance.

finesse spinning rod- I like something with an extra fast tip. I also like a really light rod for these lures because I believe it allows you to feel what you're doing a little better.

drop shot- I personally use a 6'8" med xtra fast tip. I like it a lot, but some would argue a longer rod. This one feels good for me, but i am not the best guy to take a lot of tips about dropshotting from, Dietz...

Rods, while technique specific, are also person specific. What works great for one, does not always work for another. For example, Rick Clun, my hero growing up. Uses a Heavy action rod for crankbaits. I hate, cant stand, loose fish like crazy, cuss, kick and cant do it. So, please take this for what its worth.. just my opinion.

Spinnerbaits. --> I use a 7' MH Shimano Crucial CrankBait rod(Tc4) This is a glass/graphite hybrid. I love the slow action, helps me keep fish buttoned, and hook fish deeper to begin with. For the reel I like a slower ratio, I use a Shimano Calcutta.

Crankbaits --> Depending on how deep, smaller shallow divers I have a hard time with a 7'er, I prefer a 6'8 or 6' 6" M, again, Tc4 Crankbait rod. For deeper stuff, I use the exact same rod as the Spinnerbait rod, but different line. I also use a low profile, I have a few of the old Shimano Chronarch Super Free that work well. My Super Deep rod has a Curado 5:1 ratio.

Pitching-I have many rods for this depending on what I am Pictching. My main two rods are Shimano Crucial 7'6"(One Piece) MH Flipping stick. On top is a Shimano Castiac. The other is a 7'2" MH Cumara, with a Core Flipping reel.

Flippin- I dont flip a ton, but when I do, I just use the rods above.. I do also have an old Shimano V-Rod, Telescoping 7'6" Heavy action.

Finess Spinning Rig. I have a few of these, the one that gets the most use is a 6'8" M Shimano Crucial, Drop shot rod.. its got a very fast tip, works great for shakey worms and such... For a reel I have a Shimano Stradic 1000

DropShot --> My fave way to fish in the summer, again, I have a few, but my go to, is a 7'2" M Fast action Cumara Drop Shot Rod, W/ Shimano Stradic 1000

hope this helps...

Spinnerbaits. --Pretty similar to Deitz. I run a 7' HM that allows for long casts and the fish stay buttoned with the slower action.

Crankbaits -- I use the same rod as spinnerbaits, but a MHM rather than a HM. If throwing deeper cranks (16'+) I will use a 7-6 MHM to launch them out there. Both have 5.1:1 ratio reels.

Pitching-I have 3 rods that will do the same thing, 7-6MHF. One has braid and the other 2 have mono. This will change depending on the lake. If I'm on Leech, they will all have braid due to the heavy cover.

Flippin- 7-11 HM. Long rod, heavy cover, but still has some give so nothing comes undone or line breaks.

Finess Spinning Rig. Use about 4 different ones. Most used is 7' medium. Also have 6-6 medium that had 8# test on it for smaller baits and clearer water. Rod doesn't really have anything to do with that, it's just the one that has 8# test.

DropShot -- sometimes I will use the 6-6 Medium for this, but mostly I use a 7-6 MLF. Alows me to get the baiy from the boat a little more, the longer rod helps a lot on the hookset and fight as well.