• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5.3 vs 6.0

6.0 engines were only available in the 2500 and larger series in 2003. These came with a 4:10 gear ratio. 5.3s were used in the 1500 series (1/2 ton?) Most of these came with 3.73 gears. The higher 3:73 gears will contribute to better overall fuel mileage.

what can i do to improve the mileage in a 6.0

Trade it in on a Duramax. That's what I did.

Seriously though, you're not going to improve the mileage much with any add-on equip. Go with the 5.3 if fuel economy is your biggest concern.

I personally would NEVER get a truck with the 6.0. I had a 1 Ton Crew Cab with the 7.4 (454 with 4:10 gears) and I would out pull and I got much better mileage than all the people I know that had the 6.0. Everyone that had the 6.0 couldn't get better than 12mpg and when they would pull anything they would get around 8mpg. My 1 Ton would easily get 15 to 16 on the HWY and when I pulled my 12000 lb camper I would still get 9-10mpg. I currently have a GMC with the 5.3 and I think its much better than all the 6.0's that I have driven. If you are going to pull anything heavy, get the big block.

In 2007 they added a 6 speed tranny to the 6.0 in the HD series. The dealer told me mid teens empty and around 10 - 12 towing. Is he accurate. For those with the Duramax how much did the upgrade cost. They are telling me $11000. Priced around 53k. Ouch!

if your going to pull heavy loads go with the 6.0 but personally if i was going to get a pickup to tow stuff i would get a 8.1. you can also get a 1500hd with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears in the back which will give you better mpg. if you dont do much pulling go with a 5.3. thats would i would get even if your pulling a fish house or boat.

I have an 2003 1500HD w/ 6.0 I really like it and I have not had any problems with it other than $4.00 gal. gas!

Really if your towing a big boat or 4 sleds or a camper dont get the 5.3

I also own a 2006 Yukon XL w/5.3 works great for haulin the family around and towing a couple sleds but I'm not towing my 5900 lb Sportcraft with it. I use the 6.0

6.0 engines were only available in the 2500 and larger series in 2003. These came with a 4:10 gear ratio. 5.3s were used in the 1500 series (1/2 ton?) Most of these came with 3.73 gears. The higher 3:73 gears will contribute to better overall fuel mileage.

Actually you can get the 6.0 in the heavy halves-1500's

Not anymore though.

They only made them in crew cabs.

Originally Posted By: Hafnutz

Actually you can get the 6.0 in the heavy halves-1500's

Not anymore though.

They only made them in crew cabs.

You're correct. They only made the H.D.1500 for a short time. I forgot about those. I believe you could get the 3:73 gears in them also.

I have a 3/4 ton GMC Yukon XL and I get about 13.5 mpg everyday driving (used to get almost 15 with the hard road tires it came with) and get about 10 mpg towing a 20' glass boat. Not great but I just don't think the 5.3 is much of a towing motor. My Nephew got rid of his 5.3 and got a 6.0 because he did not like how it towed his 17' boat. I think that is a bit much but he is kind of particular. But if towing is not what you plan to do with the truck I would think a 5.3 would be fine.