• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 King of the Cats Contest

DTro

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reward to the guys that are out there hitting the ground running, I’ve decided to make a surprise announcement.

I will begin taking entries for the KOTC starting.....

Click to reveal..
NOW!!!!

Since the contest is for fun and as long as several guys are already catching them, I figure why not?

Good luck and I cannot wait to start seeing some entries!

My outboard on my fishing boat is not feeling well. It is at the Boat Doctor right now and as soon as he has it fixed I am going to be after some St Croix cats. The river is open north of Stillwater and it is starting to break up to the south.

St Croix River is coming up - the islands are just about under water and there is a lot of grass and debris in the water. Water level was 678.3 feet and water temp was 33 degrees on Sunday. Water level forecast is for 683 feet on Mar 28 and 684.5 feet on March 30th. When it hits 683 feet the river is declared "No Wake". Looks like we are in for some high water for a while.

Ok call me dumb but what is this 683 or 684.5. Thats not the water depth, what is it? I feel like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly for asking but the curiosity is killing the Kitty.

I'm sorry - I guess that number is kind of confusing when it is not provided with any basic information. For those that fish the St Croix here are some river level numbers to put any river level into context:

Normal river level: 675.5 feet (at this level the water is low and the backwaters are shallow. The current is usually slow. When traveling off the main channel take care)

678 - 679 feet: The islands are just going underwater, the Stillwater Riverwalk along the levee is underwater. (Current flow is moderate to high upstream. Debris is just starting to enter the water flow as the islands are water swept)

683 feet: The Minnesota DNR declares the river in a "No Wake" status to prevent shoreline errosion. (Lots of debris in the river, large trees, branches, etc. Current upstream can be high)

684 to 685 feet: May have difficulty getting under the Stillwater lift bridge when it is down.

688 feet: The Stillwater lift bridge becomes inoperative.

As a reward to the guys that are out there hitting the ground running, I’ve decided to make a surprise announcement.

I will begin taking entries for the KOTC starting.....

Click to reveal..
NOW!!!!

Since the contest is for fun and as long as several guys are already catching them, I figure why not?

For those of you that will be bouncing jigs over at Red Wing (or wherever) the next few weeks (myself included) please think twice about entering the accidental fish you catch. I cannot deny them, but all I can ask is that you be ethical about it.

Good luck and I cannot wait to start seeing some entries!

I went out and tried fishing for a few hours tonight, it was brutal. My adventure started off with 2 of those toothed fish, then a nice fight with splashing and everything, it really got the blood flowing, yes, I caught my first carp of the soft water season. After getting the carp in, I choose to end the evening on a positive note, rather then catching another fish with teeth cool It was a rather short adventure, but it was productive, and just enough to say, game on, soft water fishing is back!!!