• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Flash!!

I need some convincing on kicking out the $399 for a new 580EX II Speedlite for my 50D. Is this the ultimate flash for my new camera that will really make a differance & enable all this camera has to offer, or should I consider another?

The price really seems like alot, but if the flash is as good as I hear, I'll wait & save.

Thanx for the input!!

My first question is how do you plan on using the flash? What type of situations do you have that will require a flash? What are you shooting that makes you think you need flash to get all you can out of the camera? What type of subjects? A little background will help narrow things down a bit.

Just for some background as well on the 580. I own a 580EX I and at this point for how I use it would not consider a II version, they have some issues that are keeping the market for the I version high priced. I just passed on a nice used early version for $300.

Some of the problems;

Inconsistent TTL, poorly designed pins in the flash foot that don't make contact with the hot shoe, poor menu layout to reach common functions, low battery life, gross flash overcompensation. These are a just a few of the issues reported. Now if you are not a heavy user you may not see some of these issues, but you don't pay a boatload of money for a flash to have these problems either!

I am not saying don't buy a 580EX II but think carefully on how you will use it. When you start adding flash you will start learning a whole new area of photography! It can be fun and frustrating at the same time.

I second Dan's recommendations on thinking about what you'll use the flash for. I opted out of spending the extra jing, instead buying the 430EX, and I've been very happy with the results. I use it for everything from posed wedding work to fill flash for close-up floral images to birds (with the Better Beamer added sometimes for birds).

It has been an excellent performer.

I'm not suggesting you not buy the 580 either, simply that it may be more flash than you need depending on what those needs are.

Alot of my shots will be in gymnasiums & sports centers where my daughter performs in group dance competitions (Just for Kix). Other times will be at weddings and portraits. I'd just like to get a flash that kind of has an all around good performance and not have to break the bank. And then I don't want to get model and wish I would have spent a little more and got something much better.Would like to stick w/ the Canon brand though.

Thanks!