Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coombia21

wheel house vs skid house

11 posts in this topic

i am going to build a fish house this summer that i will use around the metro mostly and go to ML a couple of the weekends of the season would i be better off with bigger skid house or a smaller wheel house i already have a trailer that i can use for the skid house but if i got a wheel house i would just buy one in your opinion what would you do and that pros and cons of each

If it were me I'd go wheel house. I'm all about how easy and convienient things are, and I don't like to mess around setting up and packing up.

With a wheel house, get on the lake, crank it down, drill holes, and you're fishing. When it's time to leave just crank it up and drive away.

If it's on skids now you have to introduce the loading onto a trailer factor to bring it down the road. To me, it's too much of a hassle unless you live on a lake and will just drag it out onto that lake.

I've had both. I started out with a couple different skid houses and yes, they worked well for me. Then I built my wheel house and I love the fact that I can easily drive it to various lakes around me pretty much hassle free.

Just my opinion. Good luck to ya whichever way you go.

I agree, wheel house will be more easily managed, Ive had both fish all over the country, wheel house is the way to go.

unless you're going to leave it on the lake, definetly wheel house. you'll get pretty sick of loading and unloading a skid house every trip.

I would definitly go with a wheel house. The hassle of bringing a trailer and loading and unloading the shack is just an added waste of time for you. I am thinking about building one myself this summer and am thinking about ways to build the frame and axle to work the most efficient...

would a wheel house be very hard to built and how much would it cost to built a 6.5x12

You should be able to get a frame for less than $2,000. Depending on how extravagant you get on the inside, you should be able to build it for less than $4,000. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE QUALITY OF FRAME! The key is to keep the weight under the 3,000# mark, or it can get expensive. If you are over 3,000#, you will need brakes. More to add to the expense.

its not hard to build if you got the right tools and knowledge. 6.5x12 shouldnt be that expensive depending on how far you want to take the inside. my advice would be try to keep it as light as possible. take your time and do it right the first time. also if you want to do it right i would definetly consider spray foaming the floor and walls holds the heat very well thats the only way to go IMO

where can you get the spray foam done at? What is the cost of spraying a 6.5x12 house?

There are a lot of company's in the yellow pages that will be able to do it for you. Back a while ago there was the FM Ultimate Fish House forum. He got his done in Mankato for $1,000($250 for floor,$750 walls a ceiling). That house was a 8' by 16' with v. Would think that yours shouldn't be that much.

just look in the yellow pages i am not exactly sure what the name is that my buddy got his done at. i would thinks urs would only be around $500?