Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gatorhunter

Magpies

10 posts in this topic

I'm totally loving all the bird photographs. There's one popular bird that I haven't seen anyone post and that is the one and only annoying magpie. Are they camera shy? Let's see some groovy magpies guys and gals!

When I was driving around with Jay at the bog, a couple weeks ago, we ran across 3 of them He took a far off shot of 1 in the trees, just to say he shot one. A few minutes later, I told him to stop so I could try a long range shot. You just don't get near those birds. I found out that they are extremely camera shy. I was surprised I hadn't trashed my picture yet. Anyway, at least a person can tell what it looks like, sort of. smirk

3276491885_77dc344527_o.jpg

I didn't know they had bluish/green feathers. I thought they were just black and white. The only other time I've seen them was when I was in Alaska. South Dakotan magpies must not be as camera shy.

I ran into a flock of 7 magpies last week but typical of the magpies in this area they scattered right away. I hear out west they are a lot bolder. This is my best shot of one to date, but its nothing special. They sure are neat birds.

magpies.jpg

The magpies are one of my favorites. Over thirty years ago when I started working in the area it was fairly uncommon to see one. If you did see one I would bet that it was withing a mile or two of the junction of the Arkola Rd and CR 7. Now they are relatively common over all of central St. Louis Co.

When we used to live high up in the mountains of Colorado, the magpies and Stellar jays would hop through a gap in our shed door and steal dog food. They didn't mind us close by. The ones that are conditioned to scavenging around houses/farms tend to be more approachable than those out in the Bog. Man, those bog 'pies are a wary bunch.

Thanks for the replies. Yes Steve, they do like their scavenging. I thought that there may have been some pie photos taken at the "meaty" feed stations. Keep them coming please!

gator, I think the feeding stations might be in areas too heavily forested for the 'pies. They seem to prefer more open country.

These magpies are hard to get close to for any length of time for great photographs for sure.....I've come across a few each year and if you get "any" shot your lucky!...I've seen a few on the Stickney Road in the Bog and a few near the open farm field country just north of Meadowlands....I've seen a few on deer road kills on Hwy#5 also through the past months...here's a capture of one over a road kill on Hwy#5 from last fall...(took it through the windshield)

Frame_DSCF9345-1copy.jpg