Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cgorman

Fish trap yukon or guide?

21 posts in this topic

I am looking at purchasing a new fish trap but cant decide on a guide or yukon? My buddy tells me the the guide would be too small for me(6 ft. 195 lbs.)so I starting looking at the yukon. Any suggestions or advice?

I would definitely go with the yukon. You can never have enough room. It is also well built and relatively light. Make a decision quick while you get still get them on clearance before they are gone.

If you just want it for yourself i think the guide would be ok. it wount be very roomy but it will make up for that with mobility and heating. If you will every bo going with someone else i would get the youkon. if hauling it is not an issue I would go with the youkon

I would definitely go with the yukon. You can never have enough room. It is also well built and relatively light. Make a decision quick while you get still get them on clearance before they are gone.

yes you can have too much room, a few years back I bought the eskimo grand caravan, too have room for the family. The old house did not fits all of us, now I do most of my fishing alone, wife and daughter do not go. So now I have this huge house which I do not use any more, because its too big. By the way its up for trade in the classifieds.

But I would go with the yukon also.

Between the two choices you listed... Id go with the Yukon

Depends on what you plan to do. The guide will fit you just fine. If you fish with more then one person the yukon would be better. If you must pull either one any distance, the guide is what you want. The last thing you want to do is buy a shelter and not go fishing because it is to much work to do alone. Seen that happen way to much. remember the weight includes all your equipment. The auger really adds a lot of weight when pulling. The new guide does not have a very comfortable seating situation (bench seat). But dont get caught up in the extra size of the yukon as a need. IT is nice, but not necessary for one to two people. My buddy is 6'3 and the two of use fit just fine in the guide.

ya i got the grand caravan to and it is soo much work to fish alone lol. But with a ramp to get it in the truck it works fine and I like the extra room. I threw some hyfax on there and she pulls super easy

In my opinion the guide is more than enough if you're fishing alone, and even with 2 guys it's fine. I've fished with 2 6'+ tall guys in a guide many times, and even though it can get a little cramped it's not bad. Like everyone else said though, it depends on how you plan on using it. Portability was important for me.

I regularily fish two guys out of my Guide. We aren't giants, but we aren't small either. We like the portability of it, and it fits in the back of my mid size SUV.

Thanks for all the advice,

I guess another concern/question would be if the yukon would fit in the back of my Toyota Landcruiser?

I have a Yukon and love it. I fish most of the time by myself or with my boy. The reason for the Yukon is that it sits higher off the ice than the Guide. I am not tall, but the last thing that I want stopping me from fishing is cramped legs. If you use it by yourself, you can remove the second seat. I leave mine in all the time and pull it around by myself. There are times when it is a chore and times when its easy. Just depends on the conditions. It also allows you to stand up more to put your coat on too. I think that you will be pleased with the Yukon.

I believe the tent/poles on the Yukon are also taller. I use my Guide all the time fishing solo, and it's great for one person. But I'm 6'2 and wished I had a few extra inches above my head.

cgorman, I'm 5'11", 240#!! I say...Go with the Yukon!! I can stand upright and stretch (but not with my arms overhead) and I'm very comfortable in my house. I've spent over 6 hours straight(pre beer/ serious fishing) and not had a problem. As I stated in another posting, the Yukon is a GREAT house, but it can be a bear to tote out by hand, esp in soft snow. It has a steep angle on the front of the sled, so I load my heavy stuff to the rear to overcome this fault. Otherwise...I love it!! Phred52

I have owned the Guide for four years now and really like it due to it being fairly light. I am able to lift it into my truck by myself with ease. With that said, I would gladly trade my Guide for a Yukon. I think that the extra room would be wonderful. With the end of the year sales that are going on right now, you could get a heck of a deal on the Yukon.

I'd jump on a 350$ Yukon in a heartbeat but the closet GM to is 50 mi away and they were out of everthing.

Yukon. I have gone out myself a few times and have no problem loading it in a jacked up full size truck

Well I bought the Yukon today, thanks for the advice and suggestions everybody. It helped with my decision.

Great decision!! You'll find that in the near future, you're gonna collect more 'stuff'. That extra room will be filled soon enough. ENJOY your new house!! You didn't go wrong. Phred52