• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

05-07 mxzx 800?

Tyler23

ive been looking at getting a different sled, the 05-07 mxzx 800 caught my eye. anyone know the positives and negitives to this sled? comments about the enginge and suspension would be great i like to ditch bang alot but also once in awhile go on trials. any other suggestions on sleds would also be great.

From things I've read on other sites and from friends with 800 Ski Doos is that while the engines are strong they also have a tendency to break.

I will disagree only because he said 05-07. 03-04's had problems.

Only thing I would look for is a bent nun if you are looking at a rev. Mine just got replaced. If you are going to look at one check to make sure both ski's are even on both sides or that the shock is not to close to the a-arm. If either are not good it has a bent nun.

That is the biggest problem with a rev.

I have an 07 MXZX440 race for sale $4400 if you interested in a fun sled! I went from the 800 to the 440 and will never go back.

Originally Posted By: Black_Bay
From things I've read on other sites and from friends with 800 Ski Doos is that while the engines are strong they also have a tendency to break.

Only thing I would look for is a bent nun if you are looking at a rev. Mine just got replaced. If you are going to look at one check to make sure both ski's are even on both sides or that the shock is not to close to the a-arm. If either are not good it has a bent nun.

That is the biggest problem with a rev.

I have an 07 MXZX440 race for sale $4400 if you interested in a fun sled! I went from the 800 to the 440 and will never go back.

I'm just going off what my buddy said the other night. He had a new motor for his '07 Summit to put in yesterday and they wrench on their other 800 Ski Doos more often than the Polaris'. That's only a very small number of the total sleds out there so take it with a grain of salt.

the 05 was the first year of the p-tek 800

Did that make them more reliable? whistlewink

IMO, the 800's seem to have more problems than the 600's based on what I have read. No personal experience though with the 800's. With that said, I am still contemplating dropping an 800 into my 06' Renegade 600 SDI. Would be nice to have that extra power.....not sure it's worth it though in the end.

Replacing the nun sucks....remind me never to hit a buried rail road tie again! mad

Originally Posted By: Black_Bay

tell me more about ur 440? trail converted? has it been race? how many miles? mods? can i get some pics please?

Research....there really is a lot more info on some "other" sites. Granted, you probably hear more of the bad issues vs the amount of sleds that are running just fine. It helps give you an idea what potentially you could be in store for or what to look out for.

Look at the first year Rev 600's (2003). Ring issues, pto seal's/bearings, carb boots. Usually a couple years later they can work out some of the kinks.

I am looking at getting a rev next year maybe a 440 or 600 I dont need the power of an 800, what is a good year to look at then for a used one?

IMO....2005 or newer. I would prefer the 600sdi but the 500ss (597cc) is a good engine as well and very reliable.

a 500 works too, there is no way I am spending 8 grand for one if I want to keep the wife around.

Just wait for the right deal......they do come around if your willing to wait. I picked up my 06' 600sdi Renegade last winter for $4300. That included studded stock track, full cover, 4" riser, form fit spare gas tank, skidoo gear bag for behind the tank, and clutch removal tool (also hallow clutch weights). It had roughly 3000 miles on it but compression was good and sled was in great condition. It also had aftermarket windshield and hand guards, the doo knee pads, and a new set of carbides that had not been installed.

If your choices are between a 800 and a 440 you need to ask yourself what kind of riding do you do? If you ride a lot of ditches, and maybe some trails the 440 would be fun. If you like to ride wide open trails, and lakes I would say go for the 800.