Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFallsRon

Delmon gets new deal

37 posts in this topic

I'll be a lot easier to trade him when he's under contract.

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Delmon Young and the Minnesota Twins have agreed to terms on a $1,152,000, one-year contract.

Young gets a raise from the $700,000 he made last season, but his salary is technically being cut the maximum allowable 20 percent when the final prorated share of his initial $3.7 million signing bonus ($770,000) is factored in.

Since Tampa Bay gave him a $5.8 million, five-year deal after selecting him with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft, the $1,152,000 figure was the least Young could have made in 2009 despite not being eligible for arbitration.

Young is not guaranteed a place in the starting lineup this year, coming off a disappointing season — hitting .290 with 10 homers and 69 RBIs — in a crowded outfield. But assistant general manager Rob Antony said Young’s salary is based solely on the market and not on any regard for the player’s status.

Young has a split contract. If he’s in the minors he’ll make $864,000 this season, the maximum 40 percent cut on a split contract.

good to see him signed up and after he made special commitment to come to Twinsfest I think he will turn some heads this season....hopefully for the good!!

He will become a very, very good player. The only question is will he be a Twin or will they have traded him.

he definatly was not a great outfielder and I thought he would hit more HR's but I thought he was a decent ball player with alot of potential.....I think he has a little problem on the mental side of the game but that should go away with exp.

Hope he puts in some charlie hustle into his outfieldin this year. I think he will turn into a great hitter for the Twins. Or if we trade him he will explode for some other team...

This is good for him. He is a good player, and i think having him set up to be ready to play the full year with the twins, is going to help him out as well.

Glad to see they signed him!

Now all we need is Del to not look quite as confused at the plate as well as in the field.

Oh, and try a lot harder ... so much talent ... but so much waste and waist

delmon needs to come up to the plate and show the picture he has more confidence. be a little more agressive. he has great potentional, and can be an all-star. I think his fielding problems have to do with the dome only. he needs to watch some clips of puckett.

Hey if I had Carlos Gomez or Denard Span playing next to me I would probably shag to the ball if it was hit in that direction too.... those guys have to carry fire extinguishers with em when they run the inflatable toilet turf starts on fire!! grin Delmon will turn out to be an exceptional hitter, especially if he can lose about 20 pounds of that baby fat yet...

He'll never be as bad as Pedro Munoz

Now there is a blast from the past. IMO worth the shot on him and in typical twins fashion they will stick by him even if he continues to hit .260, just like with Punto. I used to curse at them for year after year sticking with LaTroy, eventually he proved his worth but that guy stunk the place up his first 5 or 6 years I bet, but they kept re-signing and putting him out there

I wish he hit like Pedro in that one year --

Or maybe that was on Sega -- either way, when you think about it.

wink

He either smokes way too much of the funny stuff or he stays up all hours of the night on fishingminnesota.com

Them two are gonna be superstars

Hey if I had Carlos Gomez or Denard Span playing next to me I would probably shag to the ball if it was hit in that direction too.... those guys have to carry fire extinguishers with em when they run the inflatable toilet turf starts on fire!! grin Delmon will turn out to be an exceptional hitter, especially if he can lose about 20 pounds of that baby fat yet...

They will have patience with Young....and I HOPE teach him to hit, instead of SWING at ALL first pitches. Room him with Mauer this year....that made Morneau more patient.

He will never be the power hitter they are hoping for and be gone in a year or two.

He will never be the power hitter they are hoping for and be gone in a year or two.

Depends on your definition of power hitter. He will get between 20 & 30 a year. Starting in a year or two.

If you are looking for the 'roid boys numbers of 45+ then yes I agree he will never be a power hitter.

Be patient, he is only like 22 years old and came straight out of high school.

Not expecting 40+, but i don't even think he'll ever be a consistant 25-30 a year guy. He will be out of the outfield with the studs we have now and probably getting even fatter and slower than he is now. Doesn't have the power that a good DH should have, so don't see him staying around.

Not expecting 40+, but i don't even think he'll ever be a consistant 25-30 a year guy. He will be out of the outfield with the studs we have now and probably getting even fatter and slower than he is now. Doesn't have the power that a good DH should have, so don't see him staying around.

Which guy in the outfield qualifies as a stud at this point in their career? Gomez belongs in AAA and Span has one year of service! Lets not induct these guy's into the HOF just yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=...sp&c_id=mlb

Quote:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Before making the trip across town on Tuesday to face the Red Sox, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire stayed back to watch the workout of the players not traveling.

As he watched Delmon Young take batting practice, Gardenhire stood beside former Twins manager Tom Kelly and couldn't help but bring up one of the biggest questions surrounding Minnesota's club this spring.

"I'm looking at Delmon Young and, man, he's in great shape," Gardenhire said. "Looking at all these outfielders -- Carlos Gomez, Denard Span and Michael Cuddyer -- I'm going, 'Geez, what are we going to do here?'"

Young is batting .414 this spring and has shown an increased ability to drive the ball to the gaps. Gomez has been more patient at the plate and leads the team with three home runs. Cuddyer is in the best shape of his career, the club feels, and he's batting .290 in 11 contests. And despite some offensive struggles early, Span has started to find his swing in recent days and has proven to be the most versatile of the outfielders.