• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR warning of thin ice

olbaidhh

ST. PAUL (AP)

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is warning residents to be careful on the state's frozen lakes and rivers.

The DNR said the ice becomes unsafe if temperatures remain above freezing for 24 hours or more. Temperatures have now surpassed 40 degrees in many areas of the state.

The agency said that the usual safety guidelines for driving cars on the ice -- 8 to 12 inches of new, clear ice -- no longer apply because slush on the ice's surface adds weight

The DNR said residents should figure that when the temperature rises above freezing for six of the last 24 hours, they should multiply the recommended minimum thickness by two.

I was out last night and the booms were LOUD. I don't think the water level in my holes stood still for more than a minute. Be safe out there and use your best judgment. Should be a great weekend on the ice with this cold low pressure system to the north. wink

Ice sure sounded wierd last night, but its repairing itself from the thaw so not really a bad sound. Temps well below freezing at night should keep things in decent shape and slowly repair the damage done, we have until next warm snap before we really gotta start worrying.

That may be true, but I don't want to find a hole that just froze over with my truck. You know, one of those holes that opened up from all the water going down it. Buddy of mine found one the other night on Tonka. His truck didn't go into it, but they found it while they were fishing. He said that it had just froze over. They hit it with the chisel, and broke it open and fished in it. He estimated the diameter was over 3 feet. This was not a spear hole either, it was out in deep water.

I was out on tonka last night, 27 inches of ice still, but the wind and noise was freaky, so i wrapped it up after 40 min of fishing. Also I don't see many permanents out, or other trucks on the main lake outside of carson's. When a couple of trucks drove by they were gunning very fast and even though they were half a mile away the ice sounded very scary to me, that's when i packed it in, and figured i'd hit wayzata next time.

No, I am using the wheeler the rest of the season. grin I just like the "sound of making ice" to prolong the season. I get more nervous when I don't here the ice cracking when its cold out sitting in my house.

why do you get nervous when you dont here the ice cracking?

To me, when it is not cracking and shifting, it is not making ice. That's all. I don't get real nervous now with this much ice, but when it is thinner I do.

The main reason that I get nervous when I don't hear the ice cracking, is last year on a central mn lake, we were out early season. Me and a buddy of mine walked out with the portable, set up, and started fishing. About an hour later another buddy that lived on the lake came out with his wheeler. Parked it about 10 yards away from us, and started setting his stuff up to fish. After he got set up, we noticed a puddle around his wheeler. His wheeler was sinking, and the ice didn't make a sound while this was happening. He hopped on the wheeler, and brought it back to shore, and walked back out to finish the day.

He later stated that he had been out the day before without any problems. We all thought that 5" was enough for his light wheeler, but the little warm weather that we were having must have softened the ice enough.

Just the way I see it.

Trucks and cars all over here in central MN. Ice looks to have refroze. Nobody seems to be worrying about it. Where I fish I know my road out is still good unless somebody decided to make some new holes on it when it was warm. I do agree you have to watch your way around where holes have been. They could be very large and very thin. I will find out tomorrow.

Last week, on day 2 of the rain/warm spell, I drove onto my local lake to retreive my wheel house. I'm glad I did. Yeah, there's still 20+ inches of ice out there but I was driving on top of 6 inches of water to get to the house.

I drove onto a landing on the south west side of the lake. The landing was still pretty snow packed and I almost got stuck so when I left, with fish house in tow, I decided to drive to the east landing to get off the lake. We had a west wind for a few days and the farther east on the lake I went, the more honeycombed the ice looked. I'll admit I was a bit nervous.

When I got off the lake I walked back on and drilled a hole through the honeycomb looking stuff. There was still a good 20+ inches of ice and only the top 3 inches looked honeycombed. So, I'd say I was safe but it just looked a little weird.

I wouldnt assume the entire lake is drivable anymore until we get a few more cold days to firm things up a bit. But that's me.

when do you guys think the ice will be good again? thanks to everyone for sharing their stories of this past week of the bad ice... i'd like to hear more from people about the conditions and experiences they had on the ice during the last couple days...

its been below freezing for the past couple days, when will it be safe again? some of the lakes look pretty crappy... it looks like the color of the ice has changed.. anybody going out today?

I was out yesterday and the ice seemed good. still 20+ inches. My holes had stayed open from last saturday until thursday, but yesterday the ice was quite thick in them. I also noticed that a lot of the cracks that had 2-3 inch gullies, where water was flowing, had filled up and refroze. Ice was amazingly clear.

I was on 'Tonka all day yesterday. The ice on Phelps Bay is 21", and is hard clear black ice. In many spots you can see your fish coming up even though the ice is thick. I pulled by stuff out since I wasn't sure how the ice looked, but saw quite a few folks driving on the ice. I'll drive out next time.

I wouldnt be too worried about getting stuck since there isn't any snow. Might spin a little, just like any truck would on the ice. if you want to be prepared for a little spin, throw a tube of sand in the car and a couple thin boards (for traction, not weight).

I was on 'Tonka all day yesterday. The ice on Phelps Bay is 21", and is hard clear black ice. In many spots you can see your fish coming up even though the ice is thick. I pulled by stuff out since I wasn't sure how the ice looked, but saw quite a few folks driving on the ice. I'll drive out next time.

Thanks for posting this, I'm going out today, and will not be all creeped out now. It's cold as [PoorWordUsage] outside which should reinforce the 2 feet of ice out there. It's a little spooky without seeing trucks driving everywhere out there as a lot of the permanents have moved off the main lake on Tonka.