• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Valentine's Day Gift

Just wondering what the ladies really like to get on V-Day. Sixty dollar roses, a box of chocolates, ___? A handwritten card? I've got a few plans made but some ideas and suggestions from the twisted minds of the opposite sex might help me or someone else out.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would be thrilled with a new tool, say an extra battery pack for a cordless drill, or a whole set of metric wrenches.

Guys- Don't buy flowers! First they are a complete rip off and they really are not the greatest sign of a thoughtful gift. We want thoughtful, not convenient.

Maybe pamper her with something nice that she usually doesn't or can't buy. A bottle of awesome shampoo and conditioner from a salon (and nobody gets to use it but her).

That handwritten card will definitely prove to be beneficial if you get my drift.

i am taking my valentine out to a place that serves steak and lobster and prime rib. no hand written card, i wanted it to look nice! eek then we are going to a b-day party for a friend that has stage 4 colon cancer at age 50. maybe fishin sun. she is not interested a whole lot in flowers.

I personally am not a flower(unless it is a gift card for a nursery) or card type. Chocolates maybe, although now that I am diabetic those are a no no. The "old grouch" is a bit of a slob, so my ideal V-day gift from him would be to clean up his mess, then take me somewhere nice for a seafood or Mexican dinner. Most of the time we just stay home and just figure it is like every other day. Must be from being married 38 years.

Oh yeah my perfect V-day would be spent in a nice ice shack fishing, no nagging, no complaining, and no Hep me Hep me from him. laugh

Not a real flower or candy lover myself, but he buys me a single rose quite often during the year, so I am satisfied with that.

Got him a new pair of ice armor long johns for him this year.

(and of course, a card) Don't know WHAT he's gonna come up with for me this year since he went out fishing yesterday & today without me..(I had to work)

A digital picture frame that you pre-loaded some favorite pictures.

An hour massage at a salon/spa

Pedicure at a salon/spa

Something personal that he should know I like and/or want (something I may have mentioned in conversation...means he at least sometimes listens! haha)

I'm too conservative (cheap), to waste money on flowers or chocolates. The flowers will be dead in a few days and the chocolate will go right to her derriere. whistle Most years, I don't get her anything. This year, she got a 16 X 24 framed print of a photo I took of the St. Louis River, when I was up north a couple weeks ago. She told me she wanted a winter scene to replace my loon photo, for the winter months. She got it, and it's her valentine's gift. I consider myself practical. wink

I decided since I have been accumulating so many toys lately, that I should give the "old grouch" something that would put a smile on his face.

$$$$$100 big ones

Now I am sure he will let me go fishing tomorrow grin (I would go anyway)

This is for the guy's out there, I know you may not think much of valentines day but believe me your wife or girl friend has been thinking of this day since last year and the choices you make tomorrow will set the course for the whole year, trust me on this one! Remember how it was when you first met her, you didn't think of anything but her and all the ways you could woo her, you would do anything to make her feel loved and wanted! Well that special someone still needs that, show her how much you care and appreciate her, not just tell her, actions speak louder then words, give her more woo in her life and you'll be wooing yourself! Have a great Valentines wink

Dan good words of advice there. I am young still and don't have quite the life experience as some on here, but I don't think it changes things much. I don't think I could ever stop trying to impress the one I love. It is not just about Valentines Day, but every day. It doesn't have to be gifts or whatever, but a nice gesture can go a long way. That being said, we had a lot of fun for our celebration.

I am in a somewhat new relationship, 6 months along. We did V-day a couple days early because she has to work today. Thrusday while she was at work I had new tires put on her car, this she knew about. But then I brought the car to my parent's shop and washed and detailed it front to back. All of that was kinda prep for our little road trip to celebrate. I put the receipt for the tires in the glove box along with the card I found for her. She had reserved a room down in Wabasha knowing that Grumpy Old Men is one of my favorite movies, even opting for the GOM package which scored a sweet Green Hornet for the collection along with a couple coffee mugs. On the way down after she saw the card, I reached behind the seat to grab "something" but I couldn't reach it. I asked if she could grab it and it was a gift bag. Inside she found a diamond bracelet. Woohoo, brownie points. She struggled for a bit to get it on her wrist with all the bumps on the road, but I pulled over and helped her with it. We hit Slippery's for dinner and had a great time. Then we hit the National Eagle Center and a bunch of other little shops on the way back home yesterday. It was an awesome time.

Sounds like your building a solid relationship, don't let that fire slip away! My wife was born in Wabasha and one of our best friends heads up the eagle watch center, by the way grumpy old men days are held at the end of this month, I believe its the 28th

Ladies, let's not forget that V-day is for men also. I have had a rough 5 years with the "old grouch" since his illness, but I can't forget that this man worked in a job he hated for 25 years because I begged him to. His pay was halfway decent, benefits were great, but the job just plain old s**cked. I kid about him being a slob (he is) and that he complains and whines a lot, but deep down inside he is a good man. Heck he lets me take off and go fishing anytime I want while he stays home with the pets. He has let me buy all the fishing toys I have wanted. So even though he never picks up after himself and has his junk strewn all over the house he is a keeper.

Cleaned the house top to bottom. Washed the floors. Prepared a candle lit dinner. A bottle of wine and 3 red roses on the set table.

When she arrived from work I was in the kitchen wearing a nice shirt and dress pants. She cried when she saw everything. I let her vent from her days tribulations then she went to our room where I had set out a dress and pair of her shoes that I really like seeing her wear.

After dinner and a little living room dancing to Michael Buble, we hit our outdoor spa and watched the stars. Finished up the evening with a movie.

Yes V-Day is a big deal for my wife! My only concern is how high I set the bar for myself lol!