• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My names Keith and my family of 4 and I are seriously thinking about moving from this craphole twincities to Minot. Would like to exchange a few email with a few of you about the pros and cons to Minot.I figure life is short, I love Sakakawea, and Ill be that much closer to my personal utopia, the badlands.Why not Minot. Any thoughts? My email is, [email protected] Thanks!

Thanks alot for replying guys. Im super exited and super nervous about moving the whole family out there. But, i cant take this town anymore. Hard to look my boy in the face knowing Im raising him in the twin cities. Cant wait to be 2+ hrs from the Badlands. Thanks again. K

I was born and raised in Minot, and moved to Duluth after graduation in 2000. I miss the place. Family the most, but, goose hunting, deer hunting, and walleye fishing the van hook arm is second to none! A short drive around the bismarck area and lake audabon area and your limit of rooster pheasants is extremely acheivable the last two years in less than an hour. Amazing place to be.

Minot is also a place with jobs....depending on what your looking for. Minots paper had an article saying they are shutting down "sykes" center because they did not recruit 200 more people to work for them as they had hoped.....however, the center in bismarck is still open. Sad situation, but crazy to think they are closing becuase they don't have enough employees!

I'm ND born and raised, time spent between the RR Valley, and a cattle ranch SW ZAP (middle of nowhere for the layperson). Upon graduation I thought I would tackle the big city and attend the U of M (TC). Great school, I love the city, but it's it sure felt good to transfer back to good ol' NDSU. I loved the hustle and bustle of the city, but nothing is better than making it back to your 11am Econ class camo'd out, with duck blood on your hands and smelling like a slough. I love Fargo because I can fish MN, and hunt ND, in my opinion, best of both worlds.

Many of my friends are from the minneapolis burbs, and most of them turned out just fine. However I think there are HUGE advantages to being raised in a small town (not going to list).

It's definetly a big decision, and I commend your spirit for selflessly thinking about your son's future. I would look at Minot, Bismarck, and Dickinson if you like the badlands. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

Thanks alot guys for replying. Good luck with the flood up there Dan, we have a ton of family and friends up there. We hope all turns out well. As far as N.D. Im still applying for oil jobs and still waiting. Things are pretty slow out there right now. Like they needed more snow! Take Care, Go bison. I grew up in Breckenridge and am a huge Bison fan from way back. Peace.

Hey now. Twin Cities is fine place ...

Williston is part of the oil boom. Jobs are plentiful until the next boom runs dry. As long as the boom runs ... everything in that town especially homes and rent are running very high $$. The high real estate prices are running all the way towards Stanley.

Minot runs more stable, but is somewhat dependent upon their neighbors to the north (Canada) for steady business commerce and even more upon the air base ... plenty of civilian jobs coupled with all the military and spouses spending money ...

I would move to Minot in a minute. I live west of there about 160 miles, and we go there shopping a lot. Like they all said, you are close to the best fishing in the country, close to very good Goose hunting and Deer hunting to the west of there is very good. I could not stand the hustle of the Cities either. If I go there, I let somebody else drive, and I get in the back seat and cover up my head so I don't see whats coming. Join us in the west.

Thanks for replying. If I could get an oil job Id move in a heart beat. I want it so bad I can taste it. 2+ hours from the Badlands? Id be in heaven, not o mention an hour to the Van Hook. I would love to join you in the west. signed, still hatin the cities.