• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish Tackle Discussion

MinnesnowtaWild

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph, It hasn't arrived yet. I had to order it from over seas since it was made for the Japanese market. I'll let you know when I get it and wind some line on it.

I thought about getting a Tica bait caster a few years ago back when Abu didnt have hardly any otpions for a lefty retrieve but then they came out with the 7001I and got a couple of those instead of going with Tica.

I really like Tica spinning reels so hopefully that will carry over into the baitcasters.

Rushing that is a very nice looking reel....I cant believe your gonna smudge that nice blue with river mud smile....lemme know how that holds up for you considering I have the same affliction as you trying to find lefties.

So, my package arrived today and it felt like Christmas all over again when opening that box. I absolutely LOVE the Okuma ABF-50 and I thank you guys for the suggestions. I may use this reel more than my Abu 6600C4/Ugly Stick combo.

And it was nice to complete my nice collection of hooks. I have everything I need now except for a chair and am geared up for the long haul. Now I just have to decide which of my lines I want to put on the Okuma. I'm thinking 30 lb. Big Game on one spool and 20 Big Game on the other.

Originally Posted By: ec30_06
Which penn's did you go with.

310GTi. I haven't used them yet other than spooling them up and lobbing some sinkers in my backyard, but they seem nice enough. I need to replace a few Abus in my arsenal.

I have a penn 320 gt2. I caught a 49x31 on that reel last year so your 310 should be a solid reel. The only thing I didn't like with the 310 was the very light clicker. My penn international 975 has yet to see a fish over 20, but I hope to change that soon.

Now I just have to decide which of my lines I want to put on the Okuma. I'm thinking 30 lb. Big Game on one spool and 20 Big Game on the other.

I really think mono that heavy on a spinning reel causes a lot of headaches. When I use mono, I like it on my casting reels. If you're set on mono, I would use 15lb or 20lb max on one spool and braid on the other spool. Heavy mono coils up so bad and just doesn't come off the spool of a spinning reel nicely.

I agree with Ralph. Spinning reels just do not work as well with a heavier mono than with a thinner more limp super braid. Since spinning reels are fixed spools you rely on the line flowing off the reel for distance in casting. With a heavier mono there tends to be greater line memory and it doesn't flow off the reel or through the guides as smoothly.

If were to use mono on my cat spinning reels I wouldn't go any higher than maybe 20 lbs.

You wont be able to force him at all. I have caught 30#ers off of 20 lb test, but I have also lost fish with 80 lb on. If it gets in current, or is heading to a snag, you wont be able to stop it. I fish with 50lb on my lighter rod, then 80 lb on my main rod.

You can land some nice fish on lighter line if you have the right rod and your drag is set properly but you will be left with the feeling of "I wonder how big that was" more often then if you used something heavier.

I'll probably just throw my 30 lb on the first spool and see how it works. It casted great on my older Quantum Snapshot that is a lot smaller. If it doesn't work out I'll swap to braid or some smaller mono.

This rod and reel combo WAS going to be for Carp and Channels only but I am really diggin' this combo and may be using it for Flatheads nightly.

I'm glad this thread got some attention. Anyone else got some new stuff or even any input on certain tackle?

I have learned so much through this forum in the last 7 months just reading through different topics and I hope maybe somebody new will get some decent info from here.