• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish Tackle Discussion

MinnesnowtaWild

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Moore's today and picked up:

-Gamakatsu 6/0 Octopus Circle hooks

-Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle hooks

-Gamakatsu 5/0 Octopus hooks

-Gamakatsu 9/0 Octopus hooks

-Gamakatsu 10/0 Octopus hooks

-2 oz bank sinkers

-3 oz bank sinkers

-4 oz bank sinkers

-2 oz no-roll sinkers

-3 oz no-roll sinkers

All for under $25, so I'm pretty happy.

Also what would you guys suggest for an affordable ($20-40 range) spinning reel for my backup reel (used for river Carp during the day and sometimes Channels at night). I am a bit skeptical of the Shakespeare Alpha reels, but might give them a shot if nothing else comes by. I was looking at Penn reels, but they are just a bit out of my price range.

hey everyone. im looking to get into flat head fishing this summer, im just wondering what all tackle and line will i need just to get started? im not looking to buy huge amounts of this stuff i just want to try it, looks like a good time? i just want to know some basic things i will forsure need and then go from there? also i was just gunna go to wally world and pickup a cheap rod and reel, is there really any differences between these and the $50 ones at gander?? Thanks abunch!!

Oh WOW don't scare the poor guy away haha. I would say go to Moores bait shop and speak with Bob. He has everything that you would need and more. Also minnesnowtaWild is right this sport is expensive if you do everything right, but at the same time you can get some great deals that will cut the costs down a lot.

For a basic on shore setup you are going to want: 1) 6-8 foot medium-heavy action rod (generally the catfishing ones are white, can't miss em) 2) large spinning reel or baitcaster (generally more expensive) 3) Some heavy mono or braided line (65 -80 lb to be safe if braided, 30+ for mono) 4) Large (5/0 and larger) hooks, octopus, circle, or the hybrid seem to be the ticket 5) Some heavy no-roll or bank sinkers (3-6 oz should do) 6) some heavy duty barrel or ball bearing swivels 7) a bead to protect your swivel knot from your sinker 8) a light - a cheap headlamp from walmart should suffice! 9) bait, I generally use live or cut bait, small bullhead work very well 10) lots of patience!

This should be about the bare minimum to make a fun catfish excursion ... the more you go out, the more you will decide to invest in ... mainly luxuries. Don't be discouraged if you go out and get skunked a few times, or if you don't catch a monster fish right away! Keep at it, and it will pay off ... if you are ever in the Mankato area, myself and Minnesnowtawild would love to take you out so you can get a feel for it, it's always a pleasure to introduce someone to our addiction! haha Any more ?'s shoot away man!

Here is something I typed up for a newb back in October in the Minnesota River section...Very basic, but this is what you will need:

For the bait and rigs, you will find all that info in the beginner guide but I will give you a quick overview for Flatheads.

Rod - Something 7+ ft. long and in a MH action.

Reel - Something strong and able to hold big test line. I like my baitcaster for the strength factor and the ability to hold heavy line.

Line - Either Berkely Big Game mono or PowerPro braided in 65 or 80 lbs.

Hook - Either cirlce hook or j-hook in a large size (8/0+). Don't cheap out on hooks, as a big Flathead will bend a cheap panfish hook.

Sinkers - You will want a "slip sinker" which will allow the fish to take the bait without feeling resistance. Just get some 2-3 oz. bank sinkers to start out.

Bait - Use live bait. You can catch bullheads to use as bait, or just buy some sucker minnows or creek chubs. Use them live, and hook them just behind the dorsal fin just under their spine. You want them to be live and well when on the hook for as long as possible.

The rig will look like this...

---line---sinker---swivel---12" of line---hook

...The swivel is what will stop the sinker from going down to the hook.

Now with this info, find a hole and give it a good cast near a snag. Wait a while for your rod to bend like all [PoorWordUsage] has broken loose, and then reel the guy in. Once you get your first Flathead you will never go back to anything else.

Good luck!

Also minnesnowtaWild is right this sport is expensive if you do everything right, but at the same time you can get some great deals that will cut the costs down a lot.

Comparatively speaking, cattin' probably is the cheapest form of fishing there is, even if you do it "right".

Rod, Reel, Line, Hooks, Sinkers, Bait and a lawn chair. What more do you really need?

You can't put a value on experience but that is where the big investment is.

Try gearing up for Musky fishing sometime... Ouch!

nsnutter thanks alot!! thats the exact list i was looking for, just the basic things needed. i know as i get into it more and more i will get more things but i just wanna get started. my reason for this i live about 1 miles from the minnesota river and i got some buddies that do alot of this. i have a creek the runs behind my house that holds bullheads and creek chubs so i was planning on using them since i got a trap to trap them with(or just catch em with a panfish jig) whatever i have to do. as for your question about me being in mankato much i only live about 10 minutes away towards nicollet. if theres anything else i should know about please let me know Thanks everyone for your comments!! oh where do flatheads usually hangout like what do i look for when im on the river??

nsnutter thanks alot!! thats the exact list i was looking for, just the basic things needed. i know as i get into it more and more i will get more things but i just wanna get started. my reason for this i live about 1 miles from the minnesota river and i got some buddies that do alot of this. i have a creek the runs behind my house that holds bullheads and creek chubs so i was planning on using them since i got a trap to trap them with(or just catch em with a panfish jig) whatever i have to do. as for your question about me being in mankato much i only live about 10 minutes away towards nicollet. if theres anything else i should know about please let me know Thanks everyone for your comments!! oh where do flatheads usually hangout like what do i look for when im on the river??
Hey no problem man! Glad to help ... It sounds like you have are in a pretty decent area on the MInnesota man ... And that creek with the baitfish sounds pretty promising as well. If that creek is a tributary (flows into the river) look for holes in that area, target snags if applicable ... it's a learning experience, and part of the joy in catfishing is gaining that experience and learning how to read a river, it can be a challenge, and I have a lot of respect for the old timers in our sport.

What do you guys use for swivels. I have been looking around trying to find the right deal. [YouNeedAuthorization] fell through for the Eagle Claw ball-bearing swivels, so I'm looking at the Cabela's swivels or the Spro ones I have used before.

The price difference between regular barrel swivels and ball-bearing swivels is very high, so just wondering what you guys recommend. The ones I use currently are 300+ lb test and seem pretty decent but I need to resupply and they are only sold in small packs.

ok so i bought a abu garcia spinning reel today any suggestions on a rod? by the way k mart in new ulm has just about everything in the fishing part on sale i got this reel for $15 and it retails for $40 i got a bunch of hooks they were like 50cents.

So went to Cabela's in Rogers today and picked up some nice swivels. They are Cabela's brand ball-bearing solid ring swivels in size 5. It was a 24 pack for about $15 I believe.

Beats the 330 lb. SPRO power swivels by a long shot. I'll use my old remaining ones for Carp.