• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish Tackle Discussion

MinnesnowtaWild

Hello all. I know everyone is getting the Catfish itch lately with the warm weather. I sure have at least.

Just wondering what everyone plans to order for this season and what they prefer to use for tackle. I have already bought 150 yds of 80 lb Power Pro and have a nice little collection of Team Catfish 8/0 circle hook. Also picked up some Eagle Eye King Kat circle hooks which say they are a 12/0, but not sure if I love the design of them. No much room in-between the shank and base.

The stuff I am ordering from Catfish Connection are as follows:

-25 pack 2 oz bank sinkers

-25 pack 3 oz bank sinkers

-25 pack 3 oz no-roll sinkers

-25 pack Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks (5/0)

-25 pack Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks (8/0)

-25 pack Gamakatsu circle hooks (6/0)

-25 pack Gamakatsu octopus j-hooks (10/0)

-40 pack Eagle Claw kahle hooks (6/0 or 7/0)

-12 Team Catfish circle hooks (5/0)

-15 Team Catfish circle hooks (3/0)

Then I'm ordering two cartons (48 swivels) of Eagle Claw ball bearing swivels (344 lb test) from [YouNeedAuthorization] for pretty cheap (under $20).

Other misc. things on my list are a cheap Coleman tent (3 person), a rechargeable LED lantern, fishing vest possibly, and beads for knot protection. Where do you guys buy your beads at? Suppose they have them at Hobby Lobby.

Let's see what everyone plans to get for the new season. Keep in mind I JUST got into Flathead fishing in August, so I don't have a huge stash of tackle built up. I will have plenty though when I have my way with Catfish Connection!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also noticed that some descriptions of the hooks have a "maximum size of braided line" tag on them, usually around 30#. Am I gunna have a problem with these on my 80 lb. Power Pro braid?

No, they are referring to braided twine for use on trotlines. 80lb PP will fit through the eye of most hooks.

Just got my order from Catfish Connection yesterday.

Penn 310GTi

5 oz No-rolls

1/0 and 3/0 Team Catfish circle hooks (for the sturgeon excursion--they look very nice!)

80lb Power Pro

10/0 Eagle Claw Kahle hooks (dang, they're big)

I'm pretty much well-stocked on everything else. I've got a few additions to make to the boat, but that will have to wait till I pull it out of storage.

I brought my cat tackleboxes in yesterday,gonna order some heavier norolls,I really dont carry lots of stuff other than weights,hooks,leader.After my increase in lead,I'm looking to hire some porters.The lead box is too small now and I'm adding more gotta get a larger box that wont break with the weight.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
I also noticed that some descriptions of the hooks have a "maximum size of braided line" tag on them, usually around 30#. Am I gunna have a problem with these on my 80 lb. Power Pro braid?

No, they are referring to braided twine for use on trotlines. 80lb PP will fit through the eye of most hooks.

Just got my order from Catfish Connection yesterday.

Penn 310GTi

5 oz No-rolls

1/0 and 3/0 Team Catfish circle hooks (for the sturgeon excursion--they look very nice!)

80lb Power Pro

10/0 Eagle Claw Kahle hooks (dang, they're big)

I'm pretty much well-stocked on everything else. I've got a few additions to make to the boat, but that will have to wait till I pull it out of storage.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I was a bit worried about that but am glad it's no problem.

Anyone tried those bulk Eagle Eye ball bearing swivels off [YouNeedAuthorization]?

You know you guys use heavier gear then the guys in the South use. I was looking on another site and most of those guys use 30# string and 5/0 hooks for flats and blues. Is that because of the difference in fishing big water without snags and medium waters with snags? I been looking at my catalog too, lots of neat stuff in there.

Guess my shopping list is pretty short.

For the most part, I just pick up what I need from Bob @ Moore's Bait & Tackle when the need arrises. Hooks, sinkers, swivels, line, etc. Bob also stocks some great river walleye stuff (Ringworms, Hair Jigs, BFishN Jigs, Blades, etc) if you wanna change it up a bit.

I know the one thing on my list are the "new" E-Cat rods CC has for sale. Would like to get a #3 & #4 to see what they are like.

If cash allows, I'd also like to pick up a couple more Garcia 7000s for my new Classic Cats.

Thats about it really. Bait tank will have to get filled and the Power Filter will need some new media filters for it as soon as its warm enough and the bullies get hungry.

Boat is in the garage ready to go. Fresh gas and a lower unit lube change and we should be all set.

Ha that is a great question Mr. Seaguar. I'm just using what I know works, and the 5/0 Team Catfish sized circle hooks seemed like I was under equipped so I am trying to have a large range of hooks from 5/0 up to 12/0 in all forms of hook to see what works best and where.

The 80# Power Pro seems ridiculous, but I am putting it on my Abu 6600 C4 "Flathead" rig that also will be used for Sturgeon. There are also known large Paddlefish in the areas I fish and want to be able to retrieve a large one if I snag one.

I have loved my 30 lb Berkely Big Game mono line this past season, but I figured I would give braided line a shot. I am planning on using the Big Game line as a backing on my reel, but am wondering if the 30# mono will mate to the 80# Power Pro with a uni-uni knot.

May go back to the mono, as I do love the abrasion resistance and the stretch factor. I would feel comfortable with it for a big Flathead, but not as much as I would with the PP.

I have regular old Trilene 10 or 12lb mono as backing on all my reels, bought a monster spool of the stuff awhile back.

I have never had a fish take me into the backing, never, not even close. Although I must say, I'm waiting for the day when a fish wants to challenge me like that. Should make for a fun time!

Haha that's funny hanson. Maybe that some day will be this year! I'm sure you wouldn't complain if a monster got you down to that 10 or 12 lb backing.

I may use my 20 lb Big Game instead as the Power Pro has a mono equivalent of 18 lbs so that will match closely. They have 1 pound boxes of Big Game in various tests at Cabelas that I may pick up eventually for my other "Channel" rod and for my girlfriends setup. $20 on clearance for a one pound spool of great line that I just can't pass up on.

Originally Posted By: LFC
Originally Posted By: harvey lee

Tom I'm trying to check this link and getting an error 404

Sorry LFC, try this

http://outdoorproseries.com/catfish-sturgeon-tackle.html

Thanks thought somthin was wrong with my connection

Got an order from the CC a couple months ago to replenish my Bank sinker supply. The rest of the terminal tackle, I'll pick up at Moore's when needed. Probably gonna add one new set up to the collection this year. Either the E-Cat or one the Team Catfish rods over at Moore's, teamed up with another 7000iC3. I'll be re-spooling 2 flathead set ups, one with 80lb. PP, and the other with 80lb Suffix. Of my two main channel cat set ups, I'll be running 20lb. Trilene XT tough red and one with 50lb. PP. The remaining rods/reels will just get their super-braid reversed.

I have never had a fish take me into the backing, never, not even close. Although I must say, I'm waiting for the day when a fish wants to challenge me like that. Should make for a fun time!

Make sure dtro gets it on video. You might have to work on getting "in shape" for that fish.

Originally Posted By: hanson

Make sure dtro gets it on video. You might have to work on getting "in shape" for that fish.

If Hanson gets spooled down to the backing, I can tell you he had better pack some ice for the fellas. Judging by the beating they took during last year's "Hanson" event, they would probably be a bit bruised and battered. wink

Back on topic, though --

I have barely gotten started on the offseason cattin shopping. I bought some sinkers (2, 3, 4, 5 oz bank sinkers), a couple of 8/0 Kahle hooks, and I have some abu garcia parts on order, but that's it so far.

Yet to be bought are some spools of power pro (65 or 80 lb) and a couple more rods. Have to see what the team catfish rods are about, I like the fact that they're white.

Quote:
Have to see what the team catfish rods are about, I like the fact that they're white.

They seem like a real nice stick. It's a toss up for me right now with the TC and the E-cat. I'm probably gonna only add one new cat rod this year, otherwise I'd go ahead and get both!