• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are there trout in my stream?

wakeguy

I recently got into fly fishing and I've been on the DNR HSOforum looking at the designated trout streams around the state trying to find streams near the south metro when a thought came to my mind. I lease some turkey/deer hunting land outside of Jordan and while sitting in the tree stand this year I would often see fish of some type rising to the surface. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time since I wasn't into fly fishing at the time, but now I'm wondering if they could be trout. Is there a HSOforum that might help me or does anyone have any local knowledge? The stream runs through the little town of St. Benedict.

you and I both on the fly fishing. We might need to hook up via email to talk about this leasing of land for turkey. I'm very familiar with the jordan area being that I hunt that year around, but I can't put my finger on this crick. But if I had to guess I would say carp. Then again I do know. When I was looking at the dnr HSOforum I couldn't find anything in that area.

Wakeguy, I grew up on that stream about 2 or 3 miles downstream from St. Benedict. Unfortunately, there are no trout in there. What you saw was almost certainly creek chubs. I spent entire summers fishing the creek with my faithful mutt, and have caught chubs, shiners, bullheads, suckers, perch, and some small bass, crappies, and sunfish. I still fish it sometimes when I need some cutbait for catfish.

Even though there are no trout, there is nothing wrong with honing your flyfishing skills on creek chubs. That is how I learned to flyfish, and it helped greatly when I made the transition to trout in SE MN and western WI.

Kitty, shoot me an email anytime, I'm already looking forward to turkey season, although I'll admitt I havn't been shooting much this winter. Sounds like Eagle Creek is the spot for me since it is just as close. NoWiser, the land I lease is just north of town. I might take the rod with sometime when setting up stands this year. Do you use nyphs or a surface fly...I sure could use the practice. Too bad the time of year I'm looking for chubs is when everything is iced up.

This creek maybe should have stayed a secret or at least keep guys like dark and I in the dark ( sorry about he pun dark ). Us cat guys seem to always be looking for those most prized creek chubs.

Wake I will shoot you one soon. You and me both got the itch for the turkey.

I could be convinced to work a deal for a cat trip around here. I used to live in ND and fished the Red a couple of times per week but haven't tried it down here. Anyway I'm off to Mille Lacs early in the morning so I'm headed to bed.

I take chubs on the fly quite a bit on a north metro creek as i also have a fondness for them for cats, only differnce is i freeze em with garlic and oil in a bag, makes em even more fatty than they are big cats deestroy em. any way i tye up number 14 (mustad 9671), gold ribbed hares ears with a gold bead head or a pheasent tails with a gold bead head. they can not resist them i also get shinners and game fish as well. just drift em in the slow pockets or near undercut banks or bends.

good luck to you