Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
wakeguy

Are there trout in my stream?

I recently got into fly fishing and I've been on the DNR HSOforum looking at the designated trout streams around the state trying to find streams near the south metro when a thought came to my mind. I lease some turkey/deer hunting land outside of Jordan and while sitting in the tree stand this year I would often see fish of some type rising to the surface. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time since I wasn't into fly fishing at the time, but now I'm wondering if they could be trout. Is there a HSOforum that might help me or does anyone have any local knowledge? The stream runs through the little town of St. Benedict.

you and I both on the fly fishing. We might need to hook up via email to talk about this leasing of land for turkey. I'm very familiar with the jordan area being that I hunt that year around, but I can't put my finger on this crick. But if I had to guess I would say carp. Then again I do know. When I was looking at the dnr HSOforum I couldn't find anything in that area.

I'm sure those were creek chubs. They feed just like trout...hit the surface and disappear. They make great bait!

Look to Eagle Creek in Savage for some south metro trout action. I believe its all C&R nowdays.

Wakeguy, I grew up on that stream about 2 or 3 miles downstream from St. Benedict. Unfortunately, there are no trout in there. What you saw was almost certainly creek chubs. I spent entire summers fishing the creek with my faithful mutt, and have caught chubs, shiners, bullheads, suckers, perch, and some small bass, crappies, and sunfish. I still fish it sometimes when I need some cutbait for catfish.

Even though there are no trout, there is nothing wrong with honing your flyfishing skills on creek chubs. That is how I learned to flyfish, and it helped greatly when I made the transition to trout in SE MN and western WI.

Kitty, shoot me an email anytime, I'm already looking forward to turkey season, although I'll admitt I havn't been shooting much this winter. Sounds like Eagle Creek is the spot for me since it is just as close. NoWiser, the land I lease is just north of town. I might take the rod with sometime when setting up stands this year. Do you use nyphs or a surface fly...I sure could use the practice. Too bad the time of year I'm looking for chubs is when everything is iced up.

This creek maybe should have stayed a secret or at least keep guys like dark and I in the dark ( sorry about he pun dark ). Us cat guys seem to always be looking for those most prized creek chubs.

Wake I will shoot you one soon. You and me both got the itch for the turkey.

I could be convinced to work a deal for a cat trip around here. I used to live in ND and fished the Red a couple of times per week but haven't tried it down here. Anyway I'm off to Mille Lacs early in the morning so I'm headed to bed.

Wakeguy, If you can see them rising, you could go with a big dry fly. Otherwise, I would go with a large nymph or a streamer like a wooly-bugger. Chubs aren't too fussy, they'll attack almost anything.

I take chubs on the fly quite a bit on a north metro creek as i also have a fondness for them for cats, only differnce is i freeze em with garlic and oil in a bag, makes em even more fatty than they are big cats deestroy em. any way i tye up number 14 (mustad 9671), gold ribbed hares ears with a gold bead head or a pheasent tails with a gold bead head. they can not resist them i also get shinners and game fish as well. just drift em in the slow pockets or near undercut banks or bends.

good luck to you