Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stifler51

fish scales

10 posts in this topic

Berkley's seem OK. I have one it only needs to go to 20lbs. Don't need any thing bigger, just hurts larger fish anyways.

a tape measure is the most reliable in my book.

No need to mess around with scales. That is "old school" smile

In the past I have found that the spring type work the far the best. I would'nt touch a digital one, to many things to go wrong.

however, like jim said, weighing fish does hurt them. If you intend on releasing them, just measure them. there are some good conversion charts out there to find aprox weight via lenght and girth.

Length is the best way in my book unless you are caught up with an ounce or two its the best way to go

boga grip

I think of mine as a gaff in the winter and a net in the summer, it also has this nice spring scale on it. Once you have on a fishes mouth they can thrash all they want. It is abit spendy though.

I have the berkley tournament scale.. Its been a very good one for me, but I have never used it in the winter.

I never use a scale. I measure the lenght and girth if I need a weight. I do have a Boga grip and it does work very well.

i usually use just length and girth but was lookin into maybe getting one, i only fish walleye during the summer so nothing would be over 20lbs anyways

My brother taught me to hook the scale on the rim of the net and weigh the fish in it. Then after releasing the fish, weigh the net, and subtract the difference. Never seemed to hurt the fish, just make it quick.

If its worth measuring or weighing.. then I just go ahead and assume its 3 ounces shy of the state record and sadly put it back.. but enjoy spreading the "story"..

works perfect!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 2 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

8. Neither candidate looks even remotely close to being "presidential".

Mike

• You mean all the things that Trump failed to bring up? He spent a lot of time interrupting and not giving any specifics about his supposed plans so he may as well have been bringing up these topics. 

Hillary whiffed it too by failing to bring up the wall and who is going to pay for it. 

These 2 are such morons they can't even slander each other very well.

My takeaways:

1. Hillary Clinton is a terrible speaker. She not only makes me want to fall asleep when she talks but she also makes me want to vomit.

2. Hillary has very little of substance to say anyway.

3. The amount of lies, half-truths and deflecting coming out of both candidates mouths also makes me want to hurl.

4. Trump looked like a fool on the "looks vs. stamina" question, the "stop and frisk" discussion, and his description of the "birther" issue, 

5. Hillary looked like a fool on the "trade" issue.

6. Both candidates are just saying what they think people want to hear.

7. Trump actually did much better than I expected but still came across as a lying, bumbling fool.

8. Neither candidate looks even remotely close to being "presidential".

Edited by Big Dave2
    • Lots of good info. I use the Z-man ones too mostly. I do wish they had better hooks. Had a good night with them tonight! I'm starting to like them cause you can use them like a jig also, yet fish them fast when needed.

I have a couple of the Project Z ones,which seem built better, but also cost more. They are 3/4oz, so I use them in a little deeper waters.

• 11 minutes ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Trump tried to explain how he would resolve racial tensions by using "stop and frisk" (a policy that discriminates against blacks and was ruled unconstitution) and also somehow thought talking about how letting blacks into his $100,000 initial membership fee golf club was a good analogy for how he would help inner city blacks.

That's 5 star feed for the angry, battered, fed up cattle who lean con.

13 minutes ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Trump admitted to not paying any taxes: "That's just being smart" - "They would have been squandered if I did pay them"

It is. I wish I had a loop hole.

14 minutes ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Trump said of entering the mortgage business before the housing collapse "That's just good business". Trump Mortgage LLC went bankrupt in 2007, before the housing collapse.

It is. If I had serious capitol at that point, I would of bought, bought, bought.

15 minutes ago, Nick Kuhn said:

Trump questioned Clinton's health/stamina, even though he had the sniffles, consumed a great deal of water, and was leaning against the podium to remain upright (Clinton never coughed, leaned on the podium, or drank any water for the entire duration).

He is 70 and been on the road for quite some time. I give it to him. Not bad for an old timer.

Maybe Clinton is antibodied, steroided out.

Pretty sure they gave her what ever she need to to get her through that debate and debunk and quell any idea of health concerns..if there happened to be a health concern. Which I have no idea obviously.

• That gin I put in my feeder must've confused the little buggers and they flew north! ;)

• You mean all the things that Trump failed to bring up? He spent a lot of time interrupting and not giving any specifics about his supposed plans so he may as well have been bringing up these topics.  Hillary whiffed it too by failing to bring up the wall and who is going to pay for it.  These 2 are such morons they can't even slander each other very well. My takeaways: 1. Hillary Clinton is a terrible speaker. She not only makes me want to fall asleep when she talks but she also makes me want to vomit. 2. Hillary has very little of substance to say anyway. 3. The amount of lies, half-truths and deflecting coming out of both candidates mouths also makes me want to hurl. 4. Trump looked like a fool on the "looks vs. stamina" question, the "stop and frisk" discussion, and his description of the "birther" issue,  5. Hillary looked like a fool on the "trade" issue. 6. Both candidates are just saying what they think people want to hear. 7. Trump actually did much better than I expected but still came across as a lying, bumbling fool. 8. Neither candidate looks even remotely close to being "presidential".
    • Lots of good info. I use the Z-man ones too mostly. I do wish they had better hooks. Had a good night with them tonight! I'm starting to like them cause you can use them like a jig also, yet fish them fast when needed. I have a couple of the Project Z ones,which seem built better, but also cost more. They are 3/4oz, so I use them in a little deeper waters.
    • That's 5 star feed for the angry, battered, fed up cattle who lean con.  It is. I wish I had a loop hole. It is. If I had serious capitol at that point, I would of bought, bought, bought. He is 70 and been on the road for quite some time. I give it to him. Not bad for an old timer. Maybe Clinton is antibodied, steroided out. Pretty sure they gave her what ever she need to to get her through that debate and debunk and quell any idea of health concerns..if there happened to be a health concern. Which I have no idea obviously.      
    • That gin I put in my feeder must've confused the little buggers and they flew north! 
    • So you think we deserve worse? Or you are happy with our leadership? We deserve honest politicians who work for us, again it's not a complicated idea so I'm not sure what the issue is. Do you always try and make a mountain out of a mole hill? Or just too busy defending the status quo that anyone who does not align with one of two parties needs to be questioned?
    • Both have serious issues, but with regards to last night's debate only one candidate was an utter disaster. By the end Trump could barely utter coherent sentences. It seemed he would just meander his way through words until somehow he arrived at one of the handful of talking points he wanted to get across.   Trump admitted to not paying any taxes: "That's just being smart" - "They would have been squandered if I did pay them"   Trump tried to explain how he would resolve racial tensions by using "stop and frisk" (a policy that discriminates against blacks and was ruled unconstitution) and also somehow thought talking about how letting blacks into his $100,000 initial membership fee golf club was a good analogy for how he would help inner city blacks.   Trump passed off a $14 million loan as "a small amount" like anybody can come up with that.   Trump said of entering the mortgage business before the housing collapse "That's just good business". Trump Mortgage LLC went bankrupt in 2007, before the housing collapse.   Trump suggested that China should "take care of North Korea" - which does not sit well with the 2nd most powerful country on the planet.   There was this frightening exchange: Clinton: He said, "you know if they taunted our sailors I would blow them out of the water and start another war." Trump: That would not start a war. Clinton: That is not the judgment. That is not the right temperament to be commander-in-chief to be taunted and the worst part Trump: They were taunting us.   Trump questioned Clinton's health/stamina, even though he had the sniffles, consumed a great deal of water, and was leaning against the podium to remain upright (Clinton never coughed, leaned on the podium, or drank any water for the entire duration).   Trump somehow thought wrapping up the debate with an attack on Rosie O'Donnell was in some way relevant to anything mentioned in the debate.
    • So, why do you think "we all deserve better" ?  After all, that's what you said.  
    • Well I did some looking on line and found some ideas but none I liked so I put me engineering skills to use and thought of this idea it works great going to pick up some more d rings for the deck to tie down and some of those heavy duty straps I relized I can keep my spare tire on too which makes me happy and it's not hurting the trailer at all so it works great used my old wooden ramps and I didn't need to buy a new trailer! Cost me nothing to!
    • Did you bother to read the entire quote? What part of it do you disagree with? You are now a proponent of spending money on climate change?  BTW, you are a little behind the times. You do know you are bringing up something that happened in 2011, right?
  • Our Sponsors