Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stifler51

fish scales

10 posts in this topic

which fish scale do u use to weigh ur fish? and what is the best/worse? pros cons?

Berkley's seem OK. I have one it only needs to go to 20lbs. Don't need any thing bigger, just hurts larger fish anyways.

a tape measure is the most reliable in my book.

No need to mess around with scales. That is "old school" smile

In the past I have found that the spring type work the far the best. I would'nt touch a digital one, to many things to go wrong.

however, like jim said, weighing fish does hurt them. If you intend on releasing them, just measure them. there are some good conversion charts out there to find aprox weight via lenght and girth.

Length is the best way in my book unless you are caught up with an ounce or two its the best way to go

boga grip

I think of mine as a gaff in the winter and a net in the summer, it also has this nice spring scale on it. Once you have on a fishes mouth they can thrash all they want. It is abit spendy though.

I have the berkley tournament scale.. Its been a very good one for me, but I have never used it in the winter.

I never use a scale. I measure the lenght and girth if I need a weight. I do have a Boga grip and it does work very well.

i usually use just length and girth but was lookin into maybe getting one, i only fish walleye during the summer so nothing would be over 20lbs anyways

My brother taught me to hook the scale on the rim of the net and weigh the fish in it. Then after releasing the fish, weigh the net, and subtract the difference. Never seemed to hurt the fish, just make it quick.

If its worth measuring or weighing.. then I just go ahead and assume its 3 ounces shy of the state record and sadly put it back.. but enjoy spreading the "story"..

works perfect!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   Well Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have all come and gone. And nothing came, because your link is Zero Hedge.     I just took that straight from Wikipedia. It's amazing home much those last few words just keep showing up.
    • http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/   This is what you are looking for.
    •   Sounds like the House of Reps. who pulled their AHCA (Ryan/Trump  Care) so when their fellow Rep. voted it down every one would know who was against or for it. Now none of them have to explain how they voted, the same as how some on here weasel out of explaining their statements, by reverting to name calling.
    • caught my first fish with a lamprey on it and also got a 35 inch pike on a salamander. 

•   Bafflegab! Hot darn! I like that! Is that like my psychobabble, aka Mayospeak , or to quote Thurber, Pussgrapple or even Cussgravy? I haveta remember that!  "Bafflegab found in this one"?! Go look on the health thread, where yer buddy juicedup gets yammering away at you! ! Now THERE's some  real balderdash and twaddle! Yes, some good, informative threads used to exist here! Once in awhile, you can even run across one! Gotta look hard! 
    • The bite was on last week. With 4 guys we caught over 700 fish in 3.5 days.  And I don't care if anyone believes me or not.  Actually 700 is probably a conservative estimate because we had to have averaged at least 50 fish per person per day and it was probably much more than that.  Yes some of them were 10" saugers but there were many 16 to 20"+ walleye and the crappie size was the nicest I've seen in 4 years with no keepers under 12" and several 13-14" with 2 at 15.25".  All of the pavement pounding and scouting this winter and last week really paid off on this trip!  This is the most hardcore group of guys I fish with and they really know how to put the smackdown on these fish.   
    •   If you guys need fishing advice just ask. I've never had a problem sharing. 
    • Any time I have ever tried that it creates havoc with the sonar until it floats back up the hole and is removed but if anyone has a fix for this let me know.
    • Nonetheless there are some forums here which actually have active informative discussions without all of the bafflegab found in this one. 
  • Our Sponsors