Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anprickette72

The Opener is Coming

11 posts in this topic

I have been trout fishing since I was knee hight to a grasshopper but I have never done well until early May when the water starts warming up. Anybody have any suggestions? I am open to spinners, live bait, and flies.I generally fish the small cricks...

I'll start fishing the river's or crick's the first big melt. Fish will start moving at that time.Plus i'm looking to get off the ice by then. Fish in cheese land! LESS GUY'S!!!

I have one fly for you, wollybugger olive. SHHHH whistle

don't forget the raps. take a look at LHarris' post 'small stream tackleboxes'. should give you all you need to know.

small midge patterns will work best during the winter months... try the zebra midge fly dead drifted under a small piece of yarn for an indicator... that is how i take alot of my winter trout...

All of these trout were caught in feb. and march on small silver spinners mepps or rooster tails

DSCF0836-1.jpg

CopyofDSCF0679-1.jpg

DSCF0722.jpg

I guess I should get it out of my mind that Trout don't bite in cold water temps... I have always slowed down my presentations and droped the size of the lures I use in the early season but this year I am going to go out in April and hopefully turn my losing ways around

Thanks for the insights...

Nice! Look like broods? I think I know that bridge grin

Opener IS coming and I'm ready! Speaking of guiding..I'll pay you guys $100 to take me and you guys can pay me a $100 to take you...and we'll fish for free grin

I second the nomination for Rapalas. Sizes 5 & under for cricks, use the trout patterns, if you are SE MN the brown trout pattern has been especially good to me during opening weekend. Floaters work well so you can drift them down into the honey spots. The orange/gold pattern has worked well during the fading daylight. I hope your luck turns around for you this year!