Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crothmeier

Wood for Smoking

8 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but i recently cut down a Crab apple tree in my yard, and have it stacked right now in the garage. Im wondering if this is used for smoking, and if so i'd be looking to sell it, but dont really know where to start price-wise? Anyone have any idea first of all if it is used for smoking, and second what a price would be? Im not looking to get rich :D, just get rid of it and make a little something for the work. Its in logs 18"-24" long right now ranging from 3" diameter to 10" diameter. Also 4 logs 10" in diameter approx 3' long

If you can find anyone who is willing to give you anything for it, take it.

I have beautiful Black Walnut cut into 8 ft. logs that no one wants to buy and it's worth something.

hmm. see i have no idea what my pile is worth. I was told not to burn it in my Fireplace because of creasote. I'm hoping someone will come along and throw a few dollars and take the pile off my hands.

I can get bags full of them. I had a Red Squirrel collect about 50lbs. for me this fall and stash them in my barn!

I don't like hulling them or cracking them--too much time I don't have these days.

Might be worth something for the guys with a 2 chamber smoker with a fire box. Normally they'd use maple. If you put it out on the curb with a free sign you might get it hauled away, otherwise IMO there is not much of a commodity for it.

Apple wood is good for smoking, but it's kind of getting late in the season for that. Maybe try C/list?