• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishfinder Help

5crazykids

I'm in the market for a new fishfinder. Budget is $600-$1,000. I **might** be able to go a little higher if I must, but it would probably take some pretty craft tap-dancing with the Mrs., if you know what I mean.

I am interested in a finder/gps combo -- color -- powerful enough to do the job -- big enough not to have to squint to see.

Any thoughts about the Lowrance HDS-5?

How about the Lowrance LCX-28C HD?

Thanks for any input!

Better results in the Open water forum. I think a mod will move it.

I'll get things started. Keep you options open when it comes to Brand names. There is Garmin and Hummingbird also. I think with the $600 to a $1000 you will be limeted to a 5 inch screen.

The HDS is new so dont know to much about it but it looks as though it shows to much clutter to me.

If you want a sharp display and qaulity look at a Garmin. Though you pay more for it

Hummingbird has come along way with theirs to with their side imaging.

Don't get me wrong Lowrance makes good stuf but I think other brands get looked over because there are so many out there and people think because of that they are the go to, witch is far from the truth.

Thanks for the reply, croix -- I'll definitely look at other manufacturers, including Garmin and Hummingbird. I'd love to go with a screen larger than 5", but I'm not sure I can pull that one off... when I'm standing there looking at those big bright screens though, something may just take over and one may end up in the cart! grin

It is a tuff decision on witch model to buy gets overwhelming and any brand you end up with you will be happy with it.

If it ends up in the cart put it at the bottom that way you can say hmmm how did that get there, awe shucks, ring it it up I dont want to make a scene and hold up the people behind me.

I forgot to mention Pro Fishing Supply (ProFishingSupply.com) is a great place to get your equipment from. Great prices and knowledge behind it. Ask Dave any questions and he will do the best he can to answer them. His web site gives great descriptions on a lot of brands and models and I am sure he can get you what you decide on.

I know that sounded like a sales pitch but it was not. I like to share my verry good experiences with others.

Good luck on your venture. The GPS/Chartplotters sonars are the way to go. I was thinking of going with just the sonar but I am glad now I went with the one with a gps.

I went with a Garmin 530s last year and I love it has the 5 inch display but formated to the verticle(taller than wider) where others are more horizontal, takes getting used to, but I like it.

If you're wanting to spend up to $1,000 you can get the 7 inch screen on the new HDS-7, you don't need to stay with the 5 inch screen on the HDS-5 for that price. If you want to go a little higher in price you can get the 8 inch screen on the LCX-37c which is on close-out right now, that is really a nice big screen.

As you mentioned the 798SI is in your price range too. A lot of guys really like Side Imaging and it is not a gimmick. You wouldn't be able to use a LakeMaster chip in a HB so you're limited to Navionics, which may or may not be a concern for you. And you're looking at a 5 inch screen compared to the 7 inch screens in Lowrance for about the same money, again that may or may not be a concern for you.

Garmin makes a really nice unit too, great displays, they will take Lakemaster chips but not Navionics so again, maybe an issue for you or maybe not.

You can check them all out at Pro Fishing Supply Combo Units

Well... patience when it comes to my personal dealings has never been a strongpoint for me -- thankfully I am able to exercise a more cautious approach in my professional life. Anyway, I spent much of the weekend studying different finders. I purchased one today. I ended up getting the Humminbird with side imaging... but I actually "upgraded" to the 997C model (8" screen). Clearly, I exceeded my original budget, but I got a pretty sweet deal on the machine at the same time, so the extra money spent wasn't extraordinary, considering the extra features I'll be getting.

Now... if anyone has any fool-proof methods for getting it in the house and past the wife without WWIII erupting, I'm all ears! I've already used the tactic of having my buddy stop by with the a gun (which happens to be new), and, so that she is able to hear it, he thanks me for letting him borrow 'old faithful'...

I'm looking for fresh ideas!

Haven't you ever heard of the 48hr rule?

Just throw the box in your boat and let it sit. If it's there for more than 48hrs, your good. When the wife finally notices it and asks about it, you are allowed to say, "oh that old thing, it's been here a long time" grin

Congrats in the purchase, I'm a jealous fellow.

LOL @ 48 hour rule -- I like it!

Croix -- It would take all of my self control to keep me from uncovering the boat to start hooking up and playing with it the MOMENT it arrives... maybe I send her off for a girls weekend as it gets here. Whew, this darn thing is getting $pendy!!!

Bringing home new guns is easy. "Dear, I am going to stop at GM, they have a guncase on sale I've wanted for a while now"

As far as fish finders, I didn't say a thing, she noticed something different about June, Told her it was there all year, and she dropped it.