• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Final Five Tourney

titelines

Maybe a bit early, but it's only 6 weeks away. This will be our 6th year in a row and I kinda get the itch every year about this time. We've got our room booked and we're ready!

I don't get to see a lot of college hockey live, so I love this weekend, and it's cool to see all the different teams year after year.

I never know who to root for getting in. It was really cool to see Alaska come in a couple years ago. They were instant crowd favorites. I like to see the Colorado schools, but they don't get a lot of fans traveling here. Tech is cool...They've got the best band. Their hockey isn't great, but it's fun to root for the underdog. Getting as many MN schools there ensures the best attendance, which adds to the atmosphere. In the end, I guess I really just root for the teams that will make for the best hockey.

We've all got our favorites. Here's the lineup I'm rooting for:

Gophers: My team

Bulldogs: 2nd favorite team. Lots of fans will come down.

Sioux: Great fan support, rivalry. Always fun to watch.

Pioneers or Tigers: Won't get a lot of fans traveling here, but they're solid teams.

Badgers: Annoying fans and band, but good rivalries with the rest. Good fan support.

How about everyone else??

Also - We always loved going to watch KFAN broadcast live down there on Friday morning. Especially if they could get Wooger, Craid Dahl, maybe Louie etc.

With Dubay gone, has there been any word on PA broadcasting this year.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see a team like duluth taking the tournament. There hasn't been a dominate top team.

I like it and I would like to quote you on it to see if it comes true. UMD would be in the NCAA's right now if the season ended today; they are ranked 12th in pairwise.

Although my heart lies with UMD, to get a 1,2, or 3 seed in Final 5 they will likely need to sweep two of their remaining three series (MTU, UM, MTU). It is possible with those teams though. NoDak is 2 points ahead with two extra games. Very, very hard to win the Broadmoor if you are a 4th or 5th seed.

NoDak always plays good hockey in Feb & March. Denver hasn't played all that well lately. Wisconsin has a tough schedule remaining. Gophers could get hot again. I think CC will be odd man out.

My seeding predictions:

1) UW

2) DU

3) UND

4) UMD

5) UM

This will be, I think, our sixth year same seats, we have seen the Gophers win and lose. I am hoping for the Gophers to come out strong but with the combination of the young team, poor defense and Kangas doubting his skill I really have doubts this year but hope I am proven wrong. Regardless though, the event is my favorite of the year because you get to see GREAT hockey and all the teams there play hard and show it.

titelines,

This will be about my 5th year down there although my crew that I'm with will have been going longer. We have 7 Husky fans and 1 Gopher fan. We have 2 rooms at the Embassy Suites. We'll have plenty of adult beverages, Wii and Uecker going on.

I have SCSU season tickets so obviously I cheer for the Huskies first. After that I'm pulling for any MN team and then the Sioux. The tourney seems better if the Gophs make it. I always root against WI so if they are there I cheer for whomever they are playing against.

This year I would say it is as wide open as ever. I'll give the nod to UND and Denver as the favorites. I think a couple of teams have great young players but the Freshman tend to hit a brick wall late in the year.

Still have to see if someone gets hot.

Let me guess....your lone Gopher Fan is BIG DOUGY from MPLS?

No kiding about the brick wall....what the heck was Ness thinking not playing a year of Jrs before jumping into the WCHA.

Who the @@@ skips their SR season of Highschool Hockey and jumps straight to college.

Even Jordan Schroeder seems to have hit the wall.

Go Gophs!

Yep that's our lone Gopher fan, Doug "the little" brother. My wife and Doug's brother graduated from SCSU together.

I head coach a mite team and we are usually done the week before the FF. Needless to say it is typically a great weekend that I look forward to every year.

I think the players that get a year of USHL/juniors in are much better off. High School season start around in Oct and college season starts before school. The kids just aren't used to it and it take a toll.

I like the way some of SCSU's younger players are starting to play but I think they too will hit the brick wall here soon.

We have had season tixs (op of lower bowl behind the west bench) since thet left the old CC and were in Mpls while the X was built. There are 7 of us and I have a pair. Due to work (possible gig on a turnaround) I wcould miss it for the 2nd time in 3 years. RATS!

Some great tixs if anyone is interested.

Yeah... I'll even support the Sioux once all the Sota Teams are eliminated. And right now they are heads and tails above the rest of the league.

I just don't see any other WCHA Team having a chance at this point anyway.

Maybe one of the Minnesota Teams can get hot at the end!

titelines,

This will be about my 5th year down there although my crew that I'm with will have been going longer. We have 7 Husky fans and 1 Gopher fan. We have 2 rooms at the Embassy Suites. We'll have plenty of adult beverages, Wii and Uecker going on.

I have SCSU season tickets so obviously I cheer for the Huskies first. After that I'm pulling for any MN team and then the Sioux. The tourney seems better if the Gophs make it. I always root against WI so if they are there I cheer for whomever they are playing against.

This year I would say it is as wide open as ever. I'll give the nod to UND and Denver as the favorites. I think a couple of teams have great young players but the Freshman tend to hit a brick wall late in the year.

Still have to see if someone gets hot.

Yep, same boat here. We were at the Holiday Inn across the street last year, and are at the Crowne Plaze this year. Lots of fun to be had. Every floor is hopping and we end up joining right in. Seems like no matter who the fans are, everyone is in a great mood and gets along.

I think "Dirty Jobs" could do an episode at any of those hotels come Sunday.

I hope that, whoever gets in, the fans come out and support their team. It'll be interesting to see how many seats are empty if the Gophs don't make it in.