• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which rod for walleyes

fishhuntwork

I had the glooms GLX spincast with a Shimano sustain reel on it, that set up was around 600.00, I would consider that to be a good high end set up, I've fished with alot of upper end st croix rods for that matter, I was bred to fish and when it comes to fishing I spare no expense cause you can't put a price and therapy, did I catch fish with it yes indeed, I thought it was the cats meow, sort of a bragging tool, my rod is more then your rod, then I got my hands on a limit creek smoothie and things changed, a great rod at a great price, without having to compromise, maybe you should give one a try smile

I'm going to start building next week a G. Loomis SJR 842 GLX (thanks to Christmas & Birthday Cert). I'll extend it to 7" 10. Should work great on Mille Lacs.

There are alot of quality rods out there. I like the G. Loomis and St. Croix Legend Elites. They are alot lighter, and there is a DIFFERENCE.

My Son is building his first rod, a 7'6" St. Croix Avid ML

To each his own on rods, but you can't go wrong with the two I've mentioned. It' s a personal & budget issue. If money is tight the Avid series are nice rods.

Can you purchase Limit Creek blanks, I may have to look at these.

I build mine in the Winter for something to do. So I do not purchase rods already built.

I have a few Cabela's rods for other Family members and they are nice. The XML series. For something starting at around $79 and up, the fish Eagle II are hard to beat.

For what it's worth, I have used a smoothie on this years trip to Vermillion. It's a nice rod for sure, and I've said from the beginning that this level of blank is a good blank but I feel I have three of them in my garage with a different name on it. While I was using the smoothie my buddy was using my IMX HSR9000 and we both agreed that while the smoothie is nice, it's not in the same league as the HSR9000.

Sure, the HSR cost almost three times as much, but the feel is incredable, and the warranty can't be beat. For the Limit Creek rods you must keep the reciept and return it to the original retailer for exchange and it's only a three year warranty.

I will add I am not sponsored or on anyones prostaff that has a connection with any rod maker or any finanical gain on my opinions.

if you want to feel a limit creek next to a st.croix go see dean at everts and ask to demo both rods and make your own choice he has everything from avids to the new extremes, pluss the whole limit creek line up.

That is a great idea, have them cover up the price first to see what you like without price coming into play.

If price plays a big part in your choice, look at the St. Croix new MOJO rods, same price, made in the USA and a better warranty.

Limit Creek is based out of Hudson WI, they are a local small company and owned by a great individual. They do come with a warrenty and he will replace them for you if they break. Yea, you might get a better feel from a G-loomis for $400 but at that price I can buy at minimum 5 smoothies or various LC rods. To me it comes down to cost and feel. For what the high end cost, I would rather go with the limit creeks. To me I like the feel of the LC rods, may not be for everyone but that's what I will choose time and time again.

There are so many good rods out there these days it isnt funny. Heck Gander Mt. has some nice rods in their series as do Cabelas, Scheels etc.

If you dont want to spend the $ on Loomis type upper end rods I will toss out Shimano, Fenwick, Jason Mitchel, Rapala, St. Croix and Bass Pro all have good rods for just about everything.

OK, sort of off topic, but do graphite rods ever wear out? I have two older Berkeley Bionix 40 dollar specials. I can't get rid of them because they have great balance, sensitivity, and the perfect flex for rigging.

I have St Croix for the remainder of my lineup, but those Berkeley rods, now 10 years old, are awesome. I know glass rods grow more flexible with use, but back to my original question...do the graphite rods lose anything, or are we all just purchasing rods because they are the latest/greatest?

Like Northlander said,many rods out there that work great and are also a great value.Some rods are on the spendy end and folks that buy them are happy with them.Doesnt mean you have to have one in order to catch fish or that your gonna catch more fish cause you have one.I would imagine if that were the case,all tournament anglers would only use highend stuff,and if you didnt have it you couldnt possibly win a tournament.Good equipment has never been more available than it is today,One simply has to go and test to see what best suits their tastes and budgets.

I purchased a Limit Creek last year and am very happy with it and going to invest in a couple more models this spring. The Guide series are very good also but I like the LC better.

What it comes down to if you are comfortable with the rod and it feels good in your hand invest in it.

Its a personal choice and you will get a lot of really good suggestions here when you get past this one is better than that one.

One rod that I've come to really like, that I don't hear anyone mentioning is the Shimano Crucial. It retails for $160.00 and has a lifetime over the counter warranty. I own several St Croix Avids, Fenwicks, Fig Rigs and others, but I have to say that I prefer the Crucial. Is it just me? I don't understand why I don't hear more guys talk about them. I bought one 2 years ago and another last year. Very light and sensitive!

Good choice Fish Head!! Ive got a couple of Compre rods and 1 Clarus that I have used for a couple of seasons now and I love these rods.I own a list of others as well but am really impressed with the Shimano rods that have come out.So many rods,So little time....

Loomis makes the Shimano rods? I've never heard that before. I might have to look into that.

I own a Shimano Compre too. While they're definitely very good rods for the money, I think there is a noticeable difference between the Compre and the Crucial. I would put the Crucial up against any high end rods.

Shimano purchased G. Loomis a few years ago (that is no secret) with the hopes of being able to take the ultra high quality hand made blanks that are produced here and transfer that technology over to mass production.

If you believe in rumors, rumor has it that the Cumara is the first child of that marriage.