• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing out of a bayliner?

walleye 4 me

Have been looking at mid to late 90's bayliner capri 1954. Basicaly a ski boat with a small livewell, bowmount and a removeable pedistal seat at the bow. Ideally I would like something like a Tyee but that is WAY out of my price range. I know this isn't an ideal fishing boat but they are a big boat for the money. ($6000 or less) Does anyone have one and if so how do they like it. I would be fishing mainly low and devils lake. Thanks

My friend has one. Closed bow, I/O. I think it's whatever you are used to. I didn't like fishing out of it, nearly as much as my Lund Fisherman, but you know what? We caught walleye, one after another and it was a nice big boat. So if you are on a budget, and that's the most bang for your buck, go for it.

Will it work? Absolutely. Will it be ideal? Maybe not.

I've seen 2 guys that fish out of a bayliner sturgeon fishing...

The fish don't care...

What is your criteria for a boat though? If this is a compromise between a ski and fishing boat, so be it.

If you're interested in this because of the size, and you plan on fishing out of it primarily I think I'd keep looking.

marine_man

I own a capri 1954 fish-n-ski package is how they were marketed

and they are just fine to fish out of, unless you want the backtroll/tiller type rig which this is not intended for.

I bought it new in 1998 and have more than got my moneys worth. At the time I bought it because I couldnt afford a big aluminum one. Now after spending time in a few different alum. fishing boats over the years I am more than content to keep mine.

even though I could afford to get the alum one now I feel no need. my boat rides better in rougher water and is wider with more walk around room. the 135 I/O has been bullet-proof. no problems in 10 years use and our family uses it a lot. fishing and pulling the kids tubeing...and a nice plus is they are very good on gas! Going used I would just make sure the fiberglass is all in good shape and hopefully its been maintained well and stored indoors in winter. If thats the case I feel its a great boat and the best bang for your buck bar none. you wont be sorry.

I would just be dragging a couple kids around on the tube. I don't think I would be pulling skiers. Is a 3.0 in that size boat they slow to get on plane? Also I have seen a few that have a trolling plate on them. Anyone tried trolling with one of these? Wondering how slow you can get.

Actually, Bayliner's Sequential Lift Hull will plane very well. Much better than most think. At the dealership I worked for in Denver, we sold many of the 1854 and 1954's. Potential customers would be apprehensive based on name and most deals were sealed with a demo ride. Not a bad boat at all for the money.

Yep, the Sequential Lift Hull is what sold me, lifts out on plane with ease with 4 adults on board and is a really dry ride when it gets rough--slaps the waves down and away from the boat. I can get an adult up on ski's easy with 2 adults and a kid in the boat, 3 adults in the boat and it is a little tougher but can still be done. Top speed with 4 adults and a calm lake the speedo says 50 mph but not sure how accurate the speedo is? This is with a stock alum prop, I'm sure if a guy wanted more low end pull or top speed he could get a special prop for what he wants, Ive just never felt I needed to. I've never tried trolling with the big motor, the bow mounted trolling motor has allways worked just fine but if a guy wanted to use the big motor it does get down pretty slow just in gear without any throttle. Looking around the house to compare sizes the best example I see for the size of the livewell is my teenagers backpack full of books.... thats about right, and its allways been enough for what we bring home. Like I said I have owned this boat for 10 years and have been nothing but happy with it. Its not a specialty walleye fishing boat but I dont do a a lot of that anyhow , it is a great all around boat for the working family man... the big expensive boat thing is sort of like the g-loomis rod deal I will spend that much on equipment when I have my own t.v show and can justify spending it without feeling guilty that I am spending more than my family can afford for something strictly for pleasure.

Dont worry about the power of the 3.0 OMC. I have the 3.0 in my 22 foot Sylvan Offshore and it has plenty of power for the size of the boat. It gets on plane fast with 4 guys and full rigged for Lake Superior. My top speed is around 35mph. And the best part is that 3.0 uses very little gas. (

IMG_0189.jpg