Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ole

Losing Antifreeze

7 posts in this topic

Help, My 1999 Polaris 500 seems to be going through antifreeze. I've done several visual inspections but can't seem to pinpoint the problem. Anyone else ever run into this??

ole

Check the oil, is there antifreeze in oil or oil in the antifreeze? If there is there is a mechcanical seal that goes bad behind the water pump. And antifreeze will leak into your oil. It is a common problem. More common on the twin engines than the singles but also happens on the singles. Also there should be a weep hole where antifreeze can leak out behind the water pump pump.

yea if there isnt a spot on the floor or something you can see where its leaking dont run it anymore. check the oil for antifreeze if you i would guess u have a bad gasket? or something more serious

your head gasket could be leaking. Would see extra steam coming out the exhaust and or clean piston tops. They don't always leak on the outside either, so it may be running it through the motor.

Yeah check the weep hole on the water pump, you might not see a puddle ever. Pretty common.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give it a complete check.

I was thinking along those same thoughts.

ole