Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikemac

HDMI cable advice

15 posts in this topic

Just got a new LCD t.v. and would like some advice on which cables to buy. The t.v. is a 1080P and I will be hooking up a cable box, blue ray player and a home theater system. The t.v. will be mounted on the wall about 4 feet from the components. They range from $3.99 on the internet to $139.99 at other places. All of the experts on the internet seem to be split on their choices. HELP !!! I just got done with all the stress of finding the perfect t.v.

Thanks alot!!!

I have heard that the price is the only difference. Fortuneately mine came with one and as slow as I am to merge into the world of HD one is all I needed. I can tell you that when the time comes I will not be buying the most expensive!

I got an expensive one for the family room TV as our first HD set to get the "Full" experience... grin

Then when we put another HD set upstairs, I got a less expensive one at Kmart and truthfully I cannot see or hear any difference.

Cables are cables. If you buy expensive ones, you're just throwing your money away.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

When looking for HDMI cable, you mainly pay for the name. I have been using middle of the road quality HDMI cables for a couple years. I get mine for around $8 wholesale and I cannot honestly tell the difference between the ones I install and a $50 Monster cable.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Monoprice is the place to purchase your cables. Good prices and good cables. Do not spend a ton of money on Monster cable or any other high priced cables.

It's a digital signal, it either works perfectly or it doesn't work at all. If you buy a cheap one and it works, you have shopped smart.

The reason that the cables are so expensive at the box stores, is that there is very little mark up on LCD TV's, too much internet compitition. So they mark up the smaller items 70-100% to help recover the profit margin.

As to your question, it is the same digital signal, get yourself a $8.00 cable on the internet. If you are wall mounting the smaller diameter cable is easier to hide. Just make sure it is HDMI V1.3 these cables alow more bandwidth for the HD pictures when using 1080p and Blueray.

As others say, the cheap ones work the same as the highly marked up ones.

I got a set of Component, Rca, and Hdmi cords along with a bottle of screen cleaner and cloth for lcd or plasma at Sams Club for $20. Belkin audio, they arent the flimsy ones, gold tipped, and they work great.

Best Buy has an insane mark-up on cables, you wont notice the difference between the $150 ones to the $15 ones.

Thanks to everyone for the info on HDMI cables. I'am glad that I posted the question to all of the experts on FM. I guess that I will go to the discount stores or let my fingers do the walking and shop online. Hey maybe if I search long enough, I will find that 20" box fan.

I bought the Best Buy brand TV Dynex, and went with the $9.99 Dynex HDMI cables as well. They were trying to talk me into the really expensive cables, when I basically told them no, he then tried to tell me I had to get a $100+ power block to prevent "surges", and that my computer power strip wasn't good enough. I politely told the guy no on that as well