• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do lanterns attract fish?

Alex = #1

I have a crappie video (one of Al L.) and one scene covered the night bite and was filmed down south. It was pretty amazing, they would set out a floating or submerged light out on the water, after awhile it would draw in the plancton and in turn other baitfish. they would then fish outside of the perimeter of the light where the crappie would lurk using painters lights to shine on their bobbers (no light up bobbers? who knows why). it was pretty interesting.

I love fishing with my lantern set in to a hole in the ice.I iluminates the ice around it and any other holes you are fishing in, makes it really easy on the eyes instead of a above ice lantern.Its relly quite cool.When asked by a freind of mine who is a CO "what is the purpose of having the light in the ice" I responded "lites up my hole great and makes it easyer to see my bobber and its easy on the eyes"(my eyes are sensitive to bright light)His response "RIGHT ANSWER"

It is illeagal to use light to attract fish but if you are doing it for other reasons and explain it that way if asked it is not illegal.

Originally Posted By: KTapper
I prefer to fish in darkness.

What sort of bobber do you use? I'd never be able to see my spring bobber in the dark.

I usually position the vexilar so I can see my bobber, and if that isn't an option I use my headlamp with the red light which gives off minimal light and is easy on the eyes.

my buddys dad told me a story that they would drill holes almost all the way through the ice, put a lanterns in them and put 2 sheets of plywood over it so there was a 8x8 cover on the lantern he said they might burn a half a gallon of fule in thoes lanterns but they would have pails full of crappies at the end of the night.

of corse that was 30 years ago.

I seriously doubt that was a stretch of the truth..

The old timers got to do a lot of fun things in this sport that worked terrific.. hence the reason we cannot do it anymore.

Back then they fished and hunted for food. It was a necessity. I dont shame anyone one bit for that. IN fact.. I tip my hat to those who thought of it originally.

Light attracts crappies, period

Back then they fished and hunted for food. It was a necessity. I dont shame anyone one bit for that. IN fact..

We're talking about our parents and grandparents, right? We're sitting here chatting on the internet, and only 30 years ago we were a hunter gatherer society?

No it dosn't freeze in.I drill a hole about 18" deep and run a stick through the handle and let it hang in the hole.As the ice melts and water rises to the lantern I just bail out the hole.I love to fish with this kind of light, dont know if it attracts fish or not but you cant beat the way it aluminates the ice, pretty cool.