• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Here's a Common Sense Thought

chasineyes

When we have our normal, crappy winters, why don't they open up the snowmobile trails to four-wheelers. At least this way if people wanted to make a weekend out of riding, they still could. The ground and lakes are frozen thereby eliminating much of a footprint. Especially in the southern part of the state that seems to never have decent snow supply.

Thoughts??

I agree and in fact I'd take it a step further and question why ATVs are not allowed on snowmobile trails anytime during the winter. ATVs don't damage a groomed trail any more than a snowmobile and probably less. Naturally, we would expect to be charged the trail fee as well.

I do understand how allowing ATVs on trails during the off season would be a problem as our tires will dig in and make ruts and this would certainly damage the trails.

Bob

Guys I do have a sled and 4x4 but would never think of riding on the sled trails in the winter. There is a 4x4 only trail open all year up by Outing. But "please" post this on the Snowmobile forum! grin I haven't seen any fireworks since the 4 th of July!!!!!!!! laugh

You have a point leech~~. It will certainly stir the pot. But I can personally attest to 4x4 ATVs NOT CAUSING DAMAGE to snowmobile trails when ridden responsibly. The trails that consist of steep grades are another issue as there isn't enough of a foot print to maintain sufficient traction with a "wheeled" machine.

Many of the snowmobile trails cross private property. The landowners do not want atvs on their property due to the possibility of damage. I ain't gonna get into that argument. A lot of the snowmobile clubs have a lease arrangement with the landowners that excludes atvs but allow snowmobiles. I don't think we will see that change much. Several of the DNR trails are open to both snowmobiles and atvs. Look at the DNR HSOforum to find them.

LEP, where 4x4's cause trail damage the most is when it starts to get a little warmer out like right now and they start to dig in. Anyone that has driven one out on a lake or followed a 4x4 trail out on a lake can see how that happens. They just do not stay on top of the snow like a sled can. Plus sledders are paying twice right now for the trails. Lic, & Trail tab!! frown Once they get eoungh 4x4 trails established you can say good by to riding in the ditchs, and hellow to trail tabs!! mad

I say this is a bad idea. ATVs should not be allowed on snowmobile trails due to rutting, and slow moving vechicals, but mostly rutting up the trail. And if it does get above freezing you would have people out mudding, etc...

Rutting up a trial...have you ever seen the machoeisim displayed by the guys on their 900's who like to see if they can spin their tracks up ever hill and at ever stop sign?

atv's wreck the groomed trails lets be honest about it,this is why areas of wisconsin have cut back on atv's on snowmobile trails and other states don't allow it. i'm pro atv and am willing to try it, but i can forsee the problems it will cause between snowmobile groups and private landowners. when the snow melts you don't even know a snowmobile was even there, not so sure you can say that with an atv with mudzillas.

I own both and ride both and would be against riding atv's on snowmobile trails for all the reasons above and then some. As an ATV rider in the winter, yes it does suck to not have much to ride on - probably the biggest reason I picked up a sled this year after many years without one. As far as an ATV NOT being slower than a sled.... c'mon, anyone who's ridden both know's the answer to that question. On a straightaway with no bumps and perfectly groomed with a 50mph limit, I can see an arguement (maybe), but in practicality, there's no comparison.

Being both and ATV and snowmobile rider I am against atv's on designated sled trails.

For someone to even say atv's do not rut up sled trails is being dishonest. Not only do the ruts make for and unpleasant ride getting a ski into a rut can be very dangerous. Case in point: The snowmobile clubs that groom the trail from the south end of LOTW to the NWA have said if non tracked vehicles continue to use the trail they will move it more to the west thus moving it away from the fishing areas around garden island etc. This trail is currently used buy fisherman etc. and the clubs have no problem with that but are tied of working so hard to groom the trail to have it all rutted up by atv's and wheel houses.

Originally Posted By: MNexpoler
I say this is a bad idea. ATVs should not be allowed on snowmobile trails due to rutting, and slow moving vechicals, but mostly rutting up the trail. And if it does get above freezing you would have people out mudding, etc...

Rutting up a trial...have you ever seen the machoeisim displayed by the guys on their 900's who like to see if they can spin their tracks up ever hill and at ever stop sign?

I have never seen a snowmobile make a rut on a packed snowmobile trial. I have seen atvs and wheeled vechicals make ruts on packed snowmobile trail many times.

To slow!! LOL speed limits on trails is 50mph. I know my wheeler will do 70. Just to many other reasons that I dont understand?

I am sure your wheeler wont to 70 miles per hour on snow. I have a sportsman 700, no way will it hit top speed on packed snow. And the speed limit being 50mph, alot of snowmobilers go over that speed, I know I've gone over 100mph before. If the trail was filled with atvs it would just clog up the trail for the snowmobilers. If you want to ride it the winter then buy a snowmobile there 100 times funner than a ATV in the snow, period.

fishorgolf, I was up on that trail to Garden island 2 weeks ago and from what I could see some of the trail damage comes from the resort bombers and pulling their skid houses out to the reefs! And yes I do believe there are some 4 wheelers and even a truck once in a while screwing them up! Kind of sad! frown

If you want to ride it the winter then buy a snowmobile there 100 times funner than a ATV in the snow, period.

Maybe in your opinion, but a snowmobile is about as boring as it gets for me. Riding a groomed trail, I might as well just drive on the road with my wheeler.

I don't even approve of the sleds going through my yard, the studs rip up my tar,let alone a atv in the easement, the [PoorWordUsage] sleders run when theres hardly any snow and the atvs would rip the shix out the soft portion, I ride on the groomed trail at my place only for about 1 mile, and if they don't like it, they can reroute the [PoorWordUsage] thing off the private property,,,lol

To the topic though, no atvs on trails I agree**** unless it's private property and land owner does it himself<<<< >>> thats ME.

i dont think this is all that bad of a idea, but everyone knows someones going to out there and wreck it for everybody and i dont disagree with them for not allowing them to ride on the trials even though it would be fun just for that reason? anyone agree?