• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

atv tune up.

nlange

I just recently bought a polaris 335 and it has 4x4 and is a 4 stroke. its a 1999. I never owned an atv before and im just wondering what i should do for a tune up this spring. When i change the oil do they have an oil filter i have to change also? an also what kind of oil is best? how many quarts? and anything else i should check for or change? thanks much!

I'd recommend you take it to your local Polaris dealer for a good once-over and make sure it's in good running condition.

I realize budget constraints can make this sound costly, but it's a lot more costly to end up with a damaged gear case or other mechanical problem by not knowing what its condition is. Also getting stranded on the ice or somewhere and paying rescue-rates is a lot more costly.

I'd second bringing it in the first time around to have it checked out.

As far as changing the oil...it's easier than changing oil on ar car. Yes, there is a filter. When you get oil, ask for the filter wrench that works best...many atv's and cycles require a wrench designed specifically for this purpose. You'll be glad you spent the extra $5 (I learned this the hard way). A quick phonecall to any Polaris dealer will tell you how much oil is necessary.

read the manual it should tell you what maintnance you need to do and locations of filters and grease zerts. But I would change the oil,oil filter, spark plug, fuel filter, grease all the joints if greasable, air filter, check all the steering and suspension components. If you really wanted to get in detail check the valve clearance also and change the transmission and diferential fluids. Check the battery level too.

read the manual it should tell you what maintnance you need to do and locations of filters and grease zerts. But I would change the oil,oil filter, spark plug, fuel filter, grease all the joints if greasable, air filter, check all the steering and suspension components. If you really wanted to get in detail check the valve clearance also and change the transmission and diferential fluids. Check the battery level too.

i second that. but if all this seems kinda overwellming i would just take it to the nearest dealer.

best thing to do is get a owners manual for your machine, other than the maintance items there is alot of other info that is handy to know. If you can find one I would recommend getting a service manual for it.