• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Insurance

Big A

As a new owner of a custom wheelhouse. I am hearing stories of houses being vandalized or stolen madsick

What are the insurance options? How much does it cost? Any good companies to go through?.. or good stories of something bad turning out to be okay because the house was insured?

I am interested in insurance. Just wondering what the options are based on your experiences confused

Thanks

I have am fam and it cost about $24 a month to have fully covered for theft fire etc. Including up to $1500 for stuff inside. 0 deductable. You can get cheaper with a higher deductable and less insurance on stuff inside. They said they would cover going thru the ice too.

The company from which I just retired and sold my agency endorsed them (wheel houses) right to the auto policy. Contents; items that can be removed and taken with you would be covered as an endorsement for contents if you wished. A skid house with our company was considered personal property under your homeowners policy and would include loss of contents just the same as your home. We had a couple of these losses paid out over the years. The cost on the wheel house coverage was dependant on the value of the unit. Bill

mine i sfully covered at replacement cost with my homeowners policy. i have been with state farm for about 15 years. it was from my old fishhouse getting totaled out in a storm while it was in storage, that i found this out as they cut me a check for current cost of matierls and labor that i have the one i do now. ... paul

I believe that if it does not have a serial number(built it yourself) then it would be covered as personal property under your homeowners. If you have a house that DOES have a serial number on it(most manufacturers of houses) then you have to insure it as an RV.

My neighbor registered his home made house. When he got the plate and tabs for it, they also sent a serial number with it that he is to attach to the frame of the house. Wouldn't this work for RV insurance as well? It's not a manufactured house, but it has a serial number.

8 years ago I built my house and insured it for $4300, this winter when it burned down, thats what I got $4300. Now when I priced everything out it would cost me $10,500 to rebuild it the way it was. The steel and siding cost took an unreal jump. Thats my fault for not pushing the coverage up. Also don't place your fish house under your homeowers insurance, because if you have claims, it will go up. we had 2 storm damage claims this summer and now the fish house and we got a letter about how much it could go up with the next claim. Like I had any control over any of it.

hawkeye43 i guess that is a good pt on the claim issue. If it is that cheap I guess I might insure it outside of homeowners. I just said that as that is what my agent told me was an option(the serial number thing). $41 I will do that instead. I think he was just trying to save me money.

I am confused as to why it would be insured as an RV as it should be a camper/trailer coverage and endorse the policy for contents/personal property..... I would think it would need to have an engine to be considered a RV....and if it has wheels you are most likely not covered under your homeowners policy...

$41 a year sounds great also. Who is that with?

I am not too worried for the remainder of this year... but def will be making some calls soon..

this is great info. I never knew it could be insured for so little cost !

$41 a year sounds great also. Who is that with?

I am not too worried for the remainder of this year... but def will be making some calls soon..

this is great info. I never knew it could be insured for so little cost !

Are you not worried about it being stolen, vandalised, a tree falling on it, or anything else that could happen to it....just cause it is not being used on the ice or being used at all doesn't mean that nothing can happen to it......if you can find it for under $200 a year that is just under $17 a month I think you should look into insuring it now.......