Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50inchpig

Junk Legislation.......again

8 posts in this topic

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes? Ever considered there are people living in our great state that would rather not have us enjoy the quality of fishing we have today? Do you have a feeling there's more to it than hucking baits for 6 months out of the year? And what is the purpose of Muskies, Inc anyway?

Here ya go. An easy "in" for any of you wondering where to start. Last year an almost identical bill was proposed by retired rep Bud Heidgerken.

H.F. No. 621, as introduced - 86th Legislative Session (2009-2010) Posted on Feb 09, 2009

1.1A bill for an act

1.2relating to game and fish; eliminating slot limits for northern pike while spearing;

1.3amending Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2.

1.4BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.5 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2, is amended to read:

1.6 Subd. 2. Summer Angling limits must be same as and spearing limits. (a) If the

1.7commissioner reduces the limit of a species of game fish taken by spearing in any waters

1.8under section 97A.045, subdivision 2, the commissioner must reduce the limit for taking

1.9of the species by angling in the waters during the following open season for angling.

1.10(B) The commissioner shall not limit the size of a northern pike allowed to be taken

1.11by spear.

See a few problems there? This isn't a one time call for action, stuff like this comes up every single year. Some of our people who are constantly involved in fighting this stuff have been accused of being bitter and elitist, when in fact, alot of them sacrifice time on the water to deal with these issues for the good our sport. Being involved and emailing or calling your representative backs up the guys on front lines and benifits us all. There is alot of propaganda out there, sadly, it's usually not about the facts and science.

The point of this post isn't totally to convince people to get involved with MI, although it's no coincidence that all the guys who fight this junk legislation are members.

Every chapter of MI in Minnesota has a few guys that are up on this stuff and deeply involved with the process. Aside from the benifits of network building, fellowship, and friends, being involved in a club like MI is a good way to keep yourself aware of these issues and their importance to the future of our sport. Although imperfect, it gives us a united voice and a line of communication.

On the smaller scale of things, this stuff needs to be stopped, email your representative, who you can locate at

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/Districtfinder.asp

And on a larger scale, think about your role in the big picture and what kind of fishing you want your kids to have.

What's frustrating is that the person behind this bill was in all of the Esox Management meetings and saw the data on how the pike slots are benefiting the pike population and the lake health in general. This is just another person that wants to go against the science so he can fill his freezer with fillets.

i read this just now and i don't see the major issue. what i read is if the limit is reduced in winter spearing then the limit needs to be reduced while angling. or the limits must be the same. if it was less across the board wouldn't that be good? if i'm not seeing something, clue me in please.

edit: i read it again... no limit on size by spear kind of ticks me off though. but if i can angle it and keep it then it really should be both. which is fine by me. the big difference is there is no spear and release. the guy obviously hasn't caught enough large fish to satisfy himself. which i'm finding out seems to be the thing with most, key MOST, that spear. they are just bad anglers and can't catch a large one in open water. which is too bad. they are actually pretty easy if you know what your doing.

1) No slot for pike

2) Anything that starts with "the commissioner shall not" or "the commissioner must"

3) The intent is not to reduce limits for other fish but to increase limits for spearing.

4) Think about the long term implications for muskies, and think about what could happen if one sleazeball is able to slide stuff like this through the legislature. Literally, theoretically, and hypothetically, there is nothing good about this bill.

yeah. i edited my post. also i agree the commissioner is given a job to do and needs to have the freedom to do it. if he can't then he should be replaced not told how to do it. and he's doing just fine so far. for the most part. given what he has? nearly a bang up job really.

I'd have to say this is a bad idea. Why would anyone want to throw out all the work that the DNR has done or is trying to do to improve the population of quality pike. Apparently they have no care in the world when it comes to sustaining any quality population.

You are absolutely right nator and that is the main point here.

Why would we want to have a bunch of polititions making the game and fish laws. Leave the fisheries management to the professionals at the DNR, not the polititions in St.Paul.

They shoud stick with what they know, spending our money and raising our taxes. Let the pro's do the fisheries work with scientific information. This is just another example of favors for special interest and we know who they are.

The people of Minnesota just voted by a large margin to protect our fisheries and keep them safe for future anglers.

These new proposals are against everything we all voted to protect, don't let them get away with it. Call these idiots and let them know how you feel. RIGHT NOW!!!!

"Ace"

Ace guide service

first let me say i'm not an inland fisherman so issues inside minnesota border waters i don't much think about a lot, at least on a regular basis. this kind of thing is foriegn to me in a lot of ways mainly because the rivers i fish seem to be left alone, outside the sunnie sized white bass that used to be 2 pounders that is. anyway i'm trying to drink this in so....

am i right here about the main issues.

theres slot limits that if lifted would damage years of work done to improve that fishery.

theres actually a bill proposed to make the commissioner wipe out the work his predesessor made happen, and made work, and the powers being asked to do this trusted the man enough to appoint him to make judgements based on what he see's based on his experience that they trusted.

i'll do the call thing to make sure i'm heard. but since this is brought up every year and every year the fisheries shows it's still working (there is proof it's still working more and more every year) and improveing then that's why it get's shot down over and over. honestly, with our support, i don't believe for even a second it's going to last more than five minutes on the table, maybe less than one. eventually it's not even going to be an issue because it will be refused to even be heard. the powers that be understand the peoples position by our vote. uncork the bubbly. smile

then again, maybe i'm thinking they are smarter than they are. we'll see i guess.