• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

H or XH rod?

FishCat

It depends on how much vegetation you are fishing in. I use a heavy power fast taper rod for frogs over and in dense/matted weed growth. I've tried softer rods and the fish just end up getting burried in the weeds. With the heavy rod I can keep them up near the surface better. I can cast soft plastic frogs and Spro frogs just fine.

The mh will be more versatile, as stated above. I had an IMX 844 that got broken last year by a wayward foot... I am replacing that with a 7' H Avid that I am spiral wrapping with Micro guides. I like the Heavy action for fishing heavy football jigs in deep water and fishing the slop with jigs and heavy tx rigs. I also am building a 7'11" Legend T that is rated for baits up to 2 ounces. It will primarily be used for swimbaits, but I will likely throw some frogs on it too or???

Interesting. For clarification, I'm not too worried about versatility. I have a few set ups already and have been thinking about a new "frog rod". I'd use it for frogs, primarily. But in the end, I’m thinking there are a few things it would work for, like swimbaits and flippin’, so it could be multi-purpose. It's not like I can't do all of that with one of the MH rods I use now, I know. I was just wondering if folks would recommend going with a long and H rod if I primarily used it for frogs. The consensus seems to be “no”.

I personally feel that the length of a rod is very important when fishing, it gives you all you leverage. All heavy actions are not created equal, as cecil said, some heavy action act more like a mh because of their taper. I couldn't agree more.