• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for all MN hunters

azsearch22

Hello,

I'm doing a research paper for graduate school ( in Arizona). I have been looking at hunter education and reported hunting accidents.

Well, my question is does anyone have information on the test the Minnesota administers for hunter safety.

I have contacted the DNR and they have sent me information on the course, but only informed me that it was a written test (75% to pass) and a field day.

I'm specifically looking for number of questions and format (SA, multiple choice, short answer, etc.)

I'm doing a study that looks at hunter education test formats and accident. (if there is any correlation between accidents and methods of testing).

This study is nothing special, but I had to pick a to pick a topic that interest me, hunting and teaching.

Thanks to all, any information would really help my thesis

I'd like to help ya but I know people that can't add 1+1 and they are out with a high powered rifle. I took gun training when I was 12 and that was it. It allowed me to hunt deer then the next year. As far as I know once you are 18 you can get a deer license if you are a resident, but I think there is some stipulation because my cousin's wife wasn't allowed a tag this year and I forget the reason, I'll ask him. Someone else on here has your answer, they just need to speak up. Good luck with your paper.

Your best bet is to try and contact an instructor. You can take the MN Hunter Safety course online. I believe the same questions are used there as in person. They are all multiple guess and before you graduate you have to take a field day with an instructor. Usually shooting 22's something small and fun.

About that stipulation about being able to hunt without gun training if your 18 or whatever age it is(im not sure). Your only able to buy a license once and then you need to decide if you want to hunt again, you need to take a training class. I dont know if its to get more people into hunting or what but i dont agree with it.

I am an instructor. The test is almost all multiple choice and true/false, with a few questions on matching up gun parts with the names. It has 50 questions so you need 38 to pass. Most of my kids pass with scores in the low to mid 40s on average. I do NOT go over each individual question prior to the test, but do provide a summary of the course. Many of my kids get perfect scores. There is one terrible question on the test that should be stricken. It covers many topics including meat care, survival, firearms, conservation, laws, regs, etc.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Azsearch,

If you really want to see what the state teaches as basic firearms safety, see if you can get hooked up with the materials they use. Contact the DNR - or maybe CodyDawg could help hook you up.

You don't actually have to take the class.

Also, Minnesota offers Advanced Hunter Ed. for those who seek it. As with many certificates, you need the basic common sense taught to you before you participate - the rest is on the players' own shoulders.

I'll be attending classes soon with my 15 year old daughter so it'll be interesting to see what has changed since I took the class way back in - oh, a little while ago. wink

I figure it's my responsibility to continue her education after that just as I have up until now.

Good luck. smile