Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Linderholm

Andrew Zimmern on MN Lutefisk

14 posts in this topic

He's on right now on the travel channel.

Guess I never knew it was caustic at one point in it's brining process, who out there has had the pleasure of enjoying this tasty little treat?

I did at the Swedish Institute last year for the first time, what the heck were my ancestors thinking.

Used to eat it as a kid at grandparents house...thankfully my parents didn't enjoy it as much as their parents! I thought the show tonight was real good. I will be checking out the smokehouse up on the North Shore...yum!

oh i love it, i really looked forward to it, i alsolove liver mix the two and your good to go

who out there has had the pleasure of enjoying this tasty little treat?

Not sure if anyone has enjoyed eating it, but I tried it once. I think god invented smokers after sampling lutefisk!

I tried it once up at Iron World, think it was Heritage Days.

Thats a good place to sample some for no better reason then you won't stink up your house cooking it.

You'll need to be the type person that will try anything once.

First hurdle is getting past the smell. Second step is getting past the texture of a lung biscuit. If that doesn't spark a gag reflex and you are able to swallow and hold it down, you'll either figure you've fulfilled your "I'll try anything once" mindset and crossed lutefisk off the list for good. Or you might even try it again sometime thinking it was just a bad batch. I think folks that eat the stuff are thinking they just had a bad batch and keep trying it till they find a good batch.

I'm ready to try 1000 year old duck eggs.

I tried it once up at Iron World, think it was Heritage Days.

Thats a good place to sample some for no better reason then you won't stink up your house cooking it.

You'll need to be the type person that will try anything once.

First hurdle is getting past the smell. Second step is getting past the texture of a lung biscuit. If that doesn't spark a gag reflex and you are able to swallow and hold it down, you'll either figure you've fulfilled your "I'll try anything once" mindset and crossed lutefisk off the list for good. Or you might even try it again sometime thinking it was just a bad batch. I think folks that eat the stuff are thinking they just had a bad batch and keep trying it till they find a good batch.

I'm ready to try 1000 year old duck eggs.

LOL--That's hilarious--especailly the Lung Biscuit. I call them Street Oysters!

What was invented first? Lutefisk or Akavit? Akavit is a Scandinavian Liqour that tastes like Acetone and it seems to be the only thing that will wipe the taste of Lutefisk off the roof of your mouth.

That is great stuff! smile

Lutefisk with butter and pepper. Mmmmm laugh

I didn't get that this Holiday season. It was a little different with out Dad this year. frown Hopefully next year! smile

"hooks"

I love fisk and I am german! Of course I will eat and try anything at least once.

I gave it to my dog once. He went around licking his rectum for a week trying to get the taste out of his mouth. grin

My lovely bride and I came to an agreement years ago. My buddy's won't smoke in the house when they come to play poker and she won't cook lutefisk in the house.

I've seen that episode of his show Bizarre Foods on the travel channel. He does an entire hour long show about Minnesota since he lives here. It's re-run a lot on the Travel Channel. besides the Lutefisk, I especially like the parts where he visits the a reservation up by Red Lake and eats Sucker Head soup. looks interesting. He also visits a commercial freshwater herring fisherman in Gran Marais. very cool, check it out if you're ever channel surfing.

that zimmermen guy eats everything.. and when his quote comes on at the end of this show.. "if it looks good eat it" I can't vouge for him.:)

When he was on the channel 9 morning show he would always cook some off the wall stuff, some looked great and other stuff I wouldn't eat if I were paid. He does know his stuff though

When he was on the channel 9 morning show he would always cook some off the wall stuff, some looked great and other stuff I wouldn't eat if I were paid. He does know his stuff though

Back when he was at Bravo downtown, I was just coming up the ranks at Table of Contents and he hung around there a bit. My chef and he would chow the fat quite a bit.

He certainly spoke a good game of knowledge, before he hit the big time.