• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mating season tactics for coyotes?

Just curious as to what techniques to use as the mating season is approaching. I am new to the sport and only have a set of three different squealing calls, but have heard that one may want to use howling calls during this time. Also, when exactly is the mating season? What approaches work best during the upcoming months? I generally will be hunting in South-Central MN. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

breeding season has begun and as a result the pelts may not be prime for long.

A female invitation howl or a challenge howl may be the ticket. Depending on the area, one may work better than the other.

Last year I mixed it up, starting with an invitation. I gave another invitation after 15 minutes. When I got a response, I gave the challenge howl. Within 10 minutes, I heard something behind me but couldn't see it. I should note I was in open field at the time and by the time I looked, the 'yote was already past me and in the next county. I didn't realize how close he was until I headed for home and had fresh tracks in the snow 20 feet away. I could follow his path in the moonlight across the field from where I stood. The next day I saw how far he actually ran to get to my location. It was atleast 3/4 mile.

The right calls and the right sequence will bring'um running.

I was using a Hot Dog mouth piece for the invite and I put the barrell of the call back on for the challenge.

I called 5 in on one stand last saturday. Started with a male interrogation howl for about 2 minutes. Waited for about 5 minutes then used a female invitation--within 30 seconds had a nice male come to 25 yds. shot him and then switched to ki-yis which brought another male to 40 yds. shot him and started the ki-yi again in which three more came but they came in from the wrong direction for the wind and hung up at about 250yds. Had on in my sights but forgot to chamber a round. they heard me chamber one in and took off. This is my favorite time for yote hunting. I use different howls about 85% of the time this time of year.

I haven't had great luck calling Coyotes in during the day. Most of my luck with yotes is all between two oclock in the morning and Four in the morning. However, I have called more yotes in the morning than in the afternoons. Last night I called in eight which came in to about thirty yards or so. It was so snowy last night that i could not see them but when i got out of my ground blind i noticed the tracks.

Seckstein,

Have you watched the Randy Anderson "Calling all Coyotes" DVD series? If you haven't, you should. There's lots of stuff in there that they use during the mating season (February/March). Along with the fact that you'll learn alot, they're also just plain fun to watch. I practiaclly got the dang things memorized.