• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for to buy first power auger-- suggestions needed!

Crawlerman

Question

I am going to try to wait untill Fleet Farm has their big Ice Fishing sale in the first or second week of December. But until then, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on just what to look for on augers, where to go to look for deals, etc. I'm looking to spend around or under $200-250 if I can. I don't need anything fancy, huge, or hi-tech-- it will be used pretty much strictly on metro area lakes. I usually fish for panfish, and maybe a few smaller northerns; an 8" would suit me fine.

16 answers to this question

Another annual event to look for is the ice fishing show that has been at the Wilkins Auditorium next to the Excel Center. There are usually some good deals there.
I am a Jiffy owner. I have 2 , 1 is an 8" and the other is a 10". Both have the 3hp powerheads. I have been satisfied with the starting and performance of both.
Dino

I bought a strikemaster lazermag 2 hrs power two years ago and I love it. Cuts hole fast and doesn't use a lot of gas. Also starts up right away too. I think Mills should have it or else Gander Mountain.

Good Fishin, Matt.

This may be out of line, but have you ever tried to return anything to fleet farm? If so, did you think that kind of service is fair? I would recommend shopping around for the best price, then going to a reputable tackleshop or outdoor store, and asking them for their best price, you are likely to get much better service with your purchase. $0.02

I would go with the 2hp jiffy with the chipper blade, 8" is fine for most fishing. 3 horse units are too heavy,

Try D-Rock in New brighton. Last winter I bought a used(Demo) 8", 2hp Lazer Mag (2 blades, no center point) for $225. They still gave a one year warranty. They also threw in an extra pair of replacement blades for $10. They had quite a few demos, and he said they usually do every year.

Nels

Exudedude run your auger on partial choke till it warms up. Your high speed adjustment could be off or your carb is dirty. Screw your high speed in till it just stops while counting turns. DONT OVER TIGHTEN. Now back it out till you get to were you started. When the engine off and cold make 1/8 turn out and test drill. Repeat this till you it runs good cold and under a load. If its getting to much gas then turn in instead of out. You can always get back to your starting point because you counted your turns in.
Its best to let any engine warm up before putting a load on it anyway.

Any auger that is taken care of and runs good with sharp blades is a "good auger". Only concideration for me in chooseing one is 8,9 or 10 in. What brand it is I could care less. Ya cant beat Wallmart or kmart on retuns plus they will match anyones price.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 11-12-2002).]

Yeah, I agree with what Surface Tension said, it is definately either your starting procedure or a carburetor problem, and it doesn't hurt to let them come up to operating temperature before starting to drill, it only takes a few minutes, and you will get maximum life from your engine.

I don't agree with the comment about the big box stores, I never shop them, talk about unknowlegable sales staff, can you even find a member of the sales staff? Has he/she ever used and ice auger, do they know what one is?, could they tell you anything about them, give you advice when you have trouble? You may save a few bucks, but look who they are driving out of business, as for myself, I would rather put the money in the pocked of a local small bussiness person, who will in turn most likely return the money to the community, rather than into the pockets of the some of the richest people in the world. Although that may just be me. $0.02

Exudedude

The warm up should be about 1 min, not much more even in -20. It is very wise to let it warm, as others have mentioned, you get longer life and better performance.

Make sure your fuel is not too thick with oil. Premix it with a good additive like stable with an extra shot of Seafoam. The right mix is key to get good consistent power and keep things clean. The jets stay cleaner and the carb mix's the fuel to air better in all temps.

Buy a GOOD plug like a premium grade NKG and be sure it is gapped correctly. If your plug gets dirty fast, your still too rich.

Last but not least be sure the Jiffy blades cutting surfaces (3) are sharp and consistently planed across the cutting edge, including and especially the centering point.

File flat and do it in one direction only (forward), be sure to keep the angle consistent to the factory angle (you will see the surface change and become consistent and smooth all across the cutting edge).

A good diamond file or diamond stone is well worth the investment, keep the file oiled and clean. A quick touch up every other trip, just a few pass's, and it will burn ice under it's own weight.

Now burn some ice Eh!
Burn Baby Burn!
grin.gif

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-12-2002).]

Well here's my two cents, i bought my 2hp strikemaster 8 1/4" at mills fleet farm last year for 220.00, i keep stabil in the gas and i start it every two months, so far it starts on the first or second pull, if you want to be more portable and light weight don,t buy a 3 hp its too heavy, and you dont really need a 10" bit, unless you have trouble getting big fish up the hole, and also with a 10 inch bit you get a little wetter when drillin, the choice is yours Good fishin!

Last year I waited until early February and hit a sale at Gander Mt. I got 30% off of my 2 blade 2 Hp 10" Strikemaster auger, and 40% off all the other ice fishing gear in the store. I almost needed to call Ditech.com for a second mortgage, but I got lotsa great deals. That may be an option for you, as they probably do it every year.
My 2 horse cuts plenty fast, and ran great for the 1 month I used it last year.

------------------
Wables

I have three winters on a 2HP Lazer Mag. Still using the original blades. Always starts and warms up fast (30 seconds and no bogdown.) I empty all the gas out and run it dry each spring. I mix the gas 32-1 with a good 2 cycle oil. I recommend it highly. I broke a switch once and lost the gas cap vent once. Lightning speed replacement parts came right from Strikemaster in less than five days. The only drawback is the tank vent rubber seal. They are easily distorted if overtightened. So now, I just loosen the whole cap a little when running it and then try to remember to tighten it when finished............T

I'm going out on a limb here. (ya know, cat to the dogs)
I still have the first auger I bought and have nothing bad to say about it. I've got an eskimo mako 8". The tecuhmseh engine runs like a top and the blades are still sharp. It is a very affordable auger. And I bet close to the lightest. Customer service is in Wisconsin, and they're pretty efficient. Quick delivery. I ordered a centering point and it was on my doorstep in 3 days. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about it. But it cuts as fast as a lazer mag. (we've had contests) Its very light. And quite dependable. I didn't go with the majority when I bought mine. i would just advise you to do some research on the models you're interested in. Look to see the weight, gear ratios, fuel consumption, blade types, throttle control and even reviews like you're doing right now. I'm just telling you that I have had a good experience with eskimo.