• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nils hand auger ?

7outof10

Just bought one a week ago and used it last weekend.

Was using a 6" Mora so the difference is very noticeable. Got the 4.5 Nils and can get through 2 feet of ice with very little effort.

Don't like power augers even though it's very easy to see the value in one. Honestly though, after this weekend it doesn't seem like hand drilling 20 holes with a Nils would be any more physically strenuous than lugging, pull starting, and drilling with any of the power brands.

I watched several people struggling to start theirs then wrestle them through the ice. Didn't seem much easier than what I was doing.

Different strokes.

Never tried reopening holes with mine yet. That is whats has destroyed my hand augers of the past. Never found a good one that will hold up to that. I have used the nils 8" hand auger quite a bit and is a great hand auger. Hit slushy lakes with it recently and was still ok. If your not going to get the powerhead best bet would be to stick with a 6" model.

Your better off just drilling a new hole with just about any auger.. When holes freeze the freeze kinda weird, more from the outside in than from the top down.

Nills are the bomb though once you get the feeling of the offset handles. So your using both hands to spin the auger not just the one like many other hand augers...