• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help!!!! Hand auger...........

cjoeker2

The first question, You fishing mainly panfish, or walleye / pike? 6" is great for panfish and can still handle walleyes and pike. 8" give you better advantage with eyes and pike.

I had a Mora for years, was a good drill. I tried a Lazer, liked drilling holes faster, so I bought 1, The hang up on the bottom was not a big deal if you use a little TLC. If you can only afford the Mora do it. But it pays to call around, phone shop.

8"ers are very noticeably harder to drill. 6"ers (and less) make me nervous because I fish for lakers often and if I am lucky enough to hook a 20+ lber some day I'd die of a heart attack worrying if I'll be able to fit it through the hole before I ever get the chance to try. Sure, 6"ers drill easier, but my 7" gives me piece of mind. If I didn't mind more of a work out on the ice I'd go with a 8". Larger holes are nicer to fish out of, no question, but like I said, 8"ers are going to be more strenuous. 7" is a good compromise.

you cant go wrong with a 6 inch nills auger, now especially because they are going on sale for about 75 dollars some places. If you do want an 8 inch I have the eskimo barracuda and that thing dosent bind and it cuts pretty fast...well at least for a hand auger.

Lindyrigga,,I have a question about your 7" lazer mikejensm at gmailcom

I switched to a 6" lazer years ago and like it alot. I'm on my 2nd set of blades and is probaly due again for new ones but it has drilled 200-300 holes maybe, I don't know for sure, definitely alot.

my mora I had just wouldn't hold an edge for me and got tired of sharpening and replacing blades.

The nils is possibly easier cause the the blade does appear to be just a little bit more efficent.

5" auger and a lightweight chisel work well. 8" augers u don't have to worry about fitting fish up the hole cause u can't drill enough holes to find them. I drill numbers of holes until I find where I am going to fish, then I drill 2 holes right next to each other and chisel the middle out. I use the jiffy mille lacs chisel which is a really good light chisel. Worried about fitting lakers up the hole. Using this method a 38" fit right up. 30" is about max up the 5" hole. If I were to do it again I would go with the 4 1/2" nils. good luck