• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Bobbers

fishersofmen

What do you guys recommend for a good spring bobber?? I have been using the kind that pops into the end of the rod. I know they have the ones that have a thin metal band that compresses on top of the rod as well. The problem is for the last couple weeks the bite is so light that any movement of the rod at all that shakes the spring makes it impossible to see the bite. The last couple times out has been windy so I can't even hold the rod because of the shaking. I've had to set it down on the ice and when the spring just quivers a hair I set the hook. So while I need something very sensitive to even see the bite at the same time even holding it shakes the spring to much. Any recommendations??

I use st.croix spring bobbers and thorne bros spring bobbers. a better option IMO is a thorne bros power noodle or a jason mitchell meat stick. The tip of the rod is so soft that in acts like a spring bobber.

Here is what you need for components.

1/8 rubber grommet from ace or other hardware store

#8 guide not a tip top

St.croix spring light(orange) or medium(pink)

Clear as nails nail polish

thread to tie the guide and grommet to the rod.

Insert grommet inside the guide and tie/wrap with thread to the top of the rods. Then coat with nail polish many layers until its nice rounded and smooth so it looks good. This will work with most rods I can think of.

a better option IMO is a thorne bros power noodle or a jason mitchell meat stick. The tip of the rod is so soft that in acts like a spring bobber.

You hit it on the nose. Since I got a power noodle there has been no need for a spring bobber!

Gees sounds like alot of you guys are just eliminating the spring bobber all together. I will have to check out some of these rods. Do you have the same problem with the rods as far as when you are holding it and the tip shaking making it hard to see a tough bite?? I'm not a raging alcoholic who shakes really bad its just the bite has been that light for me.

I have one rod that has a very sensitive tip so there is no need for a spring bobber, but the problem is I've broke the tip off 3 of these rods.

I bought a St Croix Legend rod last year and I've been really impressed with the sping bobber set up. I did switch from the light to the medium spring because I found the light was just too light for the jigs I was using.

When I'm fishing in the shack I use my Thorne Bros. rod. Their spring bobber set up is equally impressive, but freeze up is a problem.

You could always opt to use an ice buster bobber.