• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Camera's

Code-Man

I had one, a buck punched a hole through the lens. They are definately worth the money in my mind. I need to get another one. My advice is to get a digital one as getting prints done is costly and plain archaic, digital is instant gratification. One thing is true that they can help you if you pay attention to where and when they come to a certain spot and the biggest motivator is if theres a big one on film, its just more motivation to stay on stand. Ideally you would have 3 or 4 of them set in different spots to monitor the movement but its all in how much you want to spend. As for what brand, someone else will have to comment on that, I have only had a cheapo film version but I loved using it. I could not wait to see what there was out there.

Definitely worthwhile.

But, it wont gaurantee you that big buck. But it gets the blood moving when you know there is something around that would make ya pee your pants if you saw it. laugh

Crazy what walks around the woods that you never lay eyes on. Almost gets you frustrated sometimes even, knowing there are deer around that you would tag if given the chance, but you never once lay your own eyes on them.

Brand choice???

Ford vs Chevy argument in a lot of cases these days. Lots of good cams at a variety of prices. Do a search for "chasing game" on the internet, and get all the reviews you want on every cam made.

They are great! A word of warning though, in off season, don't store them in the same container as your dominant buck scent. Just kidding brassman. One more thing, don’t tell your buddies where you mount it or you may catch that elusive shot of BigFoot and never hear the end of it when you show the shot to your friends.

Definately worth the money!! Great to see what you have lurking in your woods. Does the camera help your hunting?? I'd say yes because if you have a picture of a big buck, it will keep you in the stand longer. But as BLB alluded too, it can get frustrating when you NEVER see that big buck in the daylight.

Go digital!! I've had luck with the Moulties, decent price, simple to use, RELIABLE!!

I have a Moultrie also, D40 gamespy I think it's called, picked it up for like $90 I think. Really changed the way you look at your hunting area. I hunted it all year, seen minimal sign, wouldn't have guessed their was that many deer in that area and the size of a couple were unbelievable. The cool thing about the digitals you can just take your digital camera along if you have one, and pull the card out of the trail cam and view it on your camera. I bought another camera after the season just because I liked it so much. It really brings a different aspect to scouting and gets the blood pumping.

I have a cuddeback and a stealth, big thing is battery life, to me anyhow, the two I have are great on bats, stealth sat out in this real cold weather and bats are still good. I use 2 flash cards that way you don't have to dimount all the time swap card plug into digital camea and dl to pc. works pretty good. The one wildview I have, I would recomend NOT getting this brand as they only use 2 bats and die fast, they are cheap but you get what you pay for most of the time... But on the other hand I don't see a reason to purchase a 5.0 just due to cost, ya might be a real clear picture but I don't make christmas cards with mine , and heck a 2.0 does just fine and the cost is a fraction of a 5.0. another thing live cam wastes bats to, just an extra feature that I personally can do w/o.. Hope this helps,,,,

Reconyx are definitely one of the best, but they are expensive (~$500). HCO makes a Scoutguard camera that is really a decent little camera for around $200, and Chasin Game reviews are very favorable. They vary anywhere from $50 to over $500 - you often get what you pay for.

I don't know man, I had my moultrie out until the beginning of October to the beginning of December and had no battery issues. Well I had to change them once, it did a good job, and it was a great buy in my mind. under a hundred bucks but performs really well.

I have 2 cameras and hope to purchase 2 more this year. Do they help? Absolutely! As others say, It's nice to know what is out in the woods. It does get your blood pumpin' and during early season it does help you to get to know the deer routines. They have really motivated me in my scouting habits before the season. I have an older leaf river model and a Moultrie I40. I enjoy both of them. The Moultrie is the better camera in my opinion. My biggest complaint about cameras is that I can't leave them alone for any more than a week before I get so excited about seeing what has been caught on it. They are addicting! Great fun and the entire family enjoys looking at the pictures. Once you get a couple good bucks on film you may tend to daydream a lot. Great motivational tool!!

I would agree 100% that you need to have a trail camera for your hunting/scouting, its a must have. Mostly its a tool for me because if I'm not seeing deer or quality deer I don't hunt that area or if there is a nice buck working a curtain area i would spend my time in that section of woods thats if you have multiple cameras. My Moultrie I40 is very reliable and I'm still at 70% since I put new batterys in in October so that alone is worth alot to me not having to go and change them out every other week.

mr

I think they are a lot of fun. I consider it my season out of season. I'm always pumped to go swap memory cards.

Thoughts when buying

Batter life is very important

Image size (MegaPixel) is overrated since the sensor don't reach out real far.

I prefer IR for the night shots as I think during hunting season the flash can scare a skiddish buck.

My Cuddeback broke after one season. I prefer my Moultrie IR4.0.

To quote BLB, "Friends don't let friends buy Cuddebacks"

IR or Flash its hard to say, we use moultrie with flash and they work great, we have deer that look inches away into the camera to see what the flash is, they get use to it. But i also have pics where the flash spooked them but they came back to see what the heck that was, hard to say

IR or Flash its hard to say, we use moultrie with flash and they work great, we have deer that look inches away into the camera to see what the flash is, they get use to it. But i also have pics where the flash spooked them but they came back to see what the heck that was, hard to say

They only come back cause your feeding them, during hunting season, might be different story, but I do use a flash also,