• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you guys run for planer board rods?

Sutty

Personally I like using a rod that is 7' or less in length and has a medium heavy moderate action to pull the boards through the waves without getting crushed. With planer boards, the board is setting the hook and you don't get the lure action transmitted, so you can use pretty much anything that tows the board well.

I've never used them, but Diawa heartland rods are an inexpensive option that I've heard good things about.

If your going to fish bigger lakes where you will need a wider board spread go longer. 8.5 to however long ya like beyond that. The longer rods will be more fogiving and handle waves better. I like telescoping rods best but 2 piecers are ok as well. I hate breaking down 2 piecers and tryuing to store them. Telescoping rods store much easier.

Diawa, Shimano, TDR, Bass Pro, Gander Mt, Cabelas all make nice telescoping trolling rods. Those will run $30-$60.

Im going to be looking into some of Jason Mitchels trolling rods in the near future.

I have the gander 8'6" rods for boards that have worked well for me. I watch the racks and I think I have picked them up for between 14-20 bucks a piece. They have handled kings on Lake Michigan to walleyes on the local lakes.

Tunrevir~

I have the cheap cabalas rods, work just fine. Nice thing about them is they are purpose built- I mean the down rigger rods are nice and flexable at the end, while the planerboard dipsy rods are very ridgid the whole length. I am sure others are as well, but those were the ones I came across. Side note, the depth master reels from cabelas are junk, I have returned 4 of the 7 that I bought last year. Guide Series from gander seem to be built much better. You can get by with any cheap big water fiberglass stick for planer boards, dipsey, downriggers, long lines, etc. I would think you would have to start spending more when you go to a wire rig.

I use the daiwa accudepth plus reels, I have 8 or so for salmon fishing and 6 or so for walleye. For the price I think they a good deal. Other guys also talk about the okuma convectors. I also bought a couple cabellas depth master gold ones and do not care for them.

Scheels makes a really nice planer board rod- Scheels Pro Angler SPA-TR86- which is an 8'6" telescoping graphite rod with a durable, foam grip. They usually go on sale for around $30 or so, watch for their fishing sale flyers in the spring. It's an excellent rod for both boards or flat line trolling.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up a couple of shorties for running line counters straight back with no boards (7 foot thundersticks buy 1 get 1 free) at a site called fishingfreek something or other. I am going to look for a couple 8 footers and a couple 9 footers.