Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparcebag

Rain = more trash on lakes!

50 posts in this topic

With this rain and freezing bound to happen,I'm sure lots of houses on the lakes will block em up.I'd personally move off the lake till refreeze.

That blocking will freeze in and shore owners will once again be pickin trash! It happens every year this year will be two fold with those blocks left to float away.

I am or maybe was a believer in the shore owner has no more rights to the lake than the public,with the exception of their property lines!

But here we are AGAIN the public will move off the lake leaving their trash for the shore owners to pick up after them!

Maybe lake owners should have more rights to lakes than the public!Maybe extra charges for lake cleanup from icehouses using the lake.

What are your thoughts? Policeing the slobs that leave trash does NOT work!

Boy, a few floating blocks up on my beach would be welcome. I'll pick them up and put em to good use somehow. Lot different, to me, than trash.

Somehow earlier this winter had the bright suggestion to use cement cinder blocks to block houses up, b/c they just sink to the bottom (the infant "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. Way worse than a few blocks of wood floating to shore. Not a good idea!

Lakeshore owners have more rights than the public?? GL Duluth Fog Horn!!!! x 3!!

I'm already looking forward to getting a "clean up get together on the lake I fish most. Shouldn't have to do it, but good way to meet and get to know a few more FMers. When life hands you a bunch of lemons, make lemonade.

Edited by goose89 (02/10/09 09:20 AM)

Timely post. Yeah, I tend to see the same trash problem that you have described. On the lake we're on, in the spring I find all kinds of trash just in a 200 foot zone. Bottles, cans, bait containers, food packaging, big styrofoam pails, etc. I do my best to clean that stuff up. I usually beach my boat 6 or 7 times just to clean up the big stuff that washes up on shore all over the lake. Can't imagine how much stuff is unseen and sinks to the bottom.

I've had some wood blocking wash up as well. I don't mind it as much as the trash. But you can't see it floating in the water very easily and it's a hazard.

I realize that 100% of the trash collection is not realistic, and lake shore owners are not always on their best behavior either. But, please do your best to pick up your garbage after enjoying some ice fishing. And speak up if you see others abusing this great resource we all share.

I guess its gonna happen whether we like it or not. It would be nice if we didnt have to worry about it but I dont think its going to change. Just let them know that they need to pick up the junk when you do see them taking the houses off.

I always have a couple trash bags with me anyway so when Im out there I will pick up the area right around me when I go. I figure it probably doesnt make a huge difference but at least the spot I was at is clean for the next guy or for me when I go out there again.

i guess the only thing that makes me mad is people dont care. I always make sure my trash is picked up. just this last weekend my girlfrind and I went fishing when we are leaving i saw a chip bag on the ice I picked it up my girlfriend asked me why I picked it up. I said to make fishermen look better. for the blocks of wood. its just wood they will deconpose (speeling is wrong) if you happend to pick it up which I would put it to good use like fire wood or just some wood blocks for something. The thing that makes me mad are chip bags and buckets and beer cans and pop bottles that stuff makes me mad.

. The thing that makes me mad are chip bags and buckets and beer cans and pop bottles that stuff makes me mad.
Thats what I mean besides all the trash which is normal every year!! Now extra theres already too much to add more weather its good wood or not a shore owner should NOT have to clean up after the hoards of slobs!

There's more stuff thats left in garbage bags than ever comes out of septic tanks and their drainage fields. If you CARP in a bag take it with you.

Quote:
If you CARP in a bag take it with you.

I would think if you would go to all the trouble of catching a carp and put it in a bag you would at least take it with you! laughlaughlaugh

one of our local Conservation officers use to go out in the middle of the night and drill a small hole and drop a "marker" next to the perms. then when they left he would go out with his metal detector and locate his marker, look up the info in his book of who was there, and ticket the owner if there was a mess left behind. I THOUGHT THAT WAS GREAT! I wish more officers would do the same thing and ticket the people leaving trash, wood blocks, and anything else on the lake. We lived on the lake for a few years and still have a lake lot, every spring we have to pick up trash that washes a shore. it is crazy the amount of people that will put their garbage in a plastic bag, tir it shut, carry it all the way to shore and then leave it laying there!

I don't know if the lake shore owner should have anymore right to the lake than anyone else but it sure would be nice if the people would pick up their trash and take it with them. I pick up a ton of it every spring when the ice goes out. I even dragged out a wooden door once. Must have come off of someones fish house. What bothers me the most is the number of people I see urinating on the ice. It's just not a few, there's lots of them. This is the first year I have been on the lake for the full winter and its amazing. They stand by their vehicles and look around like no one sees them. There is one house, I don't know if the guy has a bladder problem or what, but he's out there whizzing ever hour on the hour when he is out fishing. I won't get into how many dogs are running around taking a dump. I've seen the dogs whizzing on the sides of a lot of other peoples fish houses but never their own.

If you want to give me your lake home, I'd be more than happy to pick up the trash that floats onto your shore.

FI

It's pretty sad that people keep leaving trash on lakes. I don't understand where they think it goes.

Im not afraid to pick-up lazy peoples trash, makes me think im better than them. HOWEVER when i have my kids out skiing or kneeboarding in the early spring and we come across 10' long boards floating in the lake that obviously came off a fishouse it upsets me. I love icefishing but i try to be responsible. For a person to say he would pay our taxes to pick up the trash, come on out. I have a lake lot I will make you a deal on.

last year i went on a lake in south west mn and first thing i see is wood every where, looks like they froze house down and just destroyed it right there and left it to float away, also seen what was left of many foam minnow buckets and minnow nets with the float bobbers on them

This shouldn't be lake shore owners against other people that use the lake. It should be those that pick up their garbage against those that do! I am new to having a lake home, and I realize that I have no more right to the water than I did 1.5 years ago. Its not only the people visiting the lake that are guilty in leaving stuff behind. The people swimming a public accesses don't like garbage either. Lets just keep the arguments in the right direction and tell people to clean up after themselves. If you own a lake place you didn't pay for the whole lake, you paid for a place to stay, put your boat, dock, and enjoy. These posts are good for making people realize its important to clean up after themselves. This us against them thing is more likely to make someone throw a beer bottle on your beach than less. Its much better to simply state you are tired of picking up the garbage in the spring and please pick up after yourself. And yes I still pee behind my fish house as do most the other lake home owners I know.

There are many people who grow up believing that it is not them, but rather someone else is responsible for their actions. And it is not just garbage either and for the sake of keeping this thread on track I won't really head down that path.

This kind of behavior starts with throwing the gum wrapper on the ground and not being taught that is wrong. So it just escalates.

We can talk all day about the trash on the lakes.

Heres your chance to do something about the stuff left behind. You can look at it as giving back what the lake has given you all winter long.

Organize a lake clean up, post that in your area forum. March or late Feb is a good time when all the snow is gone and shacks are off the lake. Bring a chisel along and you can get close to 100% of all the blocking. After your clean up, gather around a fire and cook some brats.

We can talk all day about the trash on the lakes.

Heres your chance to do something about the stuff left behind. You can look at it as giving back what the lake has given you all winter long.

Organize a lake clean up, post that in your area forum. March or late Feb is a good time when all the snow is gone and shacks are off the lake. Bring a chisel along and you can get close to 100% of all the blocking. After your clean up, gather around a fire and cook some brats.

Ya I tried that in my area 2 springs ago,the post was up for 6 weeks.I offered my truck,trailor,trash bags,stated just please show up and help! I got no replies to my post! I was the only one who showed up????

Great group in my area! Lots of lakes but no willing bodies!

So your answer is to shoot down a post about organizing a cleanup day now. There are many successful clean up days being done on lakes and they are a great idea. I felt bad for missing the one on my lake last year I guess the people had a great day.

So your answer is to shoot down a post about organizing a cleanup day now. There are many successful clean up days being done on lakes and they are a great idea. I felt bad for missing the one on my lake last year I guess the people had a great day.
Well I'm sure the area people who didn't show up to help me---FEEL BAD to. feeling bad sure helps!

What bothers me the most is the number of people I see urinating on the ice. It's just not a few, there's lots of them.

What's wrong with taking a leak on the lake? Or are you just meaning that people should go down a hole rather than on the ice? I agree with that

I agree organizing a cleanup is a great idea. But still doesn't address the real issue of people not be responsible for cleaning up after themselves.